• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to fix dropped connection to web pages, requiring Reload of web page

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
When I connect to a 5GHz connection, I get 220 MBps but often when double clicking on a web page link, the connection is dropped and it doesn't connect to the page unless I RELOAD the page in browser.
No such problems at 2.4GHz but it's much slower at 2.4GHz than at 5GHz.

What can I do to make it not drop the initial connection @5GHz!?

I am testing my Internet Speeds after going through Router Firmware problems.

Verizon 5G at Home
30Mbps @Box by itself

35Mbps @2.4GHz through NETGEAR Router
220Mbps @5GHz through NETGEAR Router

105Mbps @2.4GHz through UBIQUITI Access Point

So I have to go through 5GHz NETGEAR Router because the highest technical support tier at UBIQUITI does not know why Windows 8.1 only displays UBIQUITI connections at 2.4GHz and not 5GHz.
Windows 10 displays both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz but not Windows 8.1 which I use 99% of the time.

But the question is what causes dropped initial connections @5GHz?

Last edited:
Solution
Dear friend,

I am using
Asus PCE-AC55BT B1
with latest driver version 19.10.0.9, which is also the exact same latest driver version for Windows 10 as well.

I am using
Ubiquiti Access Point WiFi 6 Long-Range U6-LR-US
with updated Firmware
OK this helps a lot! Your Ubiquity access point is wifi-6 your netgear is AC and your wifi adapter is AC.

"Several Wi-Fi adapters from Intel have known issues with Wi-Fi 6 networks. These problems are mostly resolved with a driver update, but it's important to know that those updates are not part of any Windows updates, so they will...
Dear friend,

I am using
Asus PCE-AC55BT B1
with latest driver version 19.10.0.9, which is also the exact same latest driver version for Windows 10 as well.

I am using
Ubiquiti Access Point WiFi 6 Long-Range U6-LR-US
with updated Firmware
OK this helps a lot! Your Ubiquity access point is wifi-6 your netgear is AC and your wifi adapter is AC.

"Several Wi-Fi adapters from Intel have known issues with Wi-Fi 6 networks. These problems are mostly resolved with a driver update, but it's important to know that those updates are not part of any Windows updates, so they will need to be updated manually."
I am using
Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Router

I am willing to gamble on another adapter, could you recommend which one I could purchase, most wifi cards in recent years have a WIndows 10 mandatory requirement which may be due to a wider push to make people abandon Windows 8.1.

From your experience, which adapter would you recommend I try for Windows 8.1?
I don't have much experience with windows 8.1, I don't think it's a problem with the operating system per-se but the driver that windows is using. one way to check this is to goto device manager right click on your wireless adapter goto properties then goto the driver tab and screenshot it or share what driver version and who the signer is, EG windows 11 is using a windows signed driver for my realtek adapter, it works fine or else i'd bother to try the actual drivers from realtek.

How are you running this piece of hardware, did you install the driver package from ASUS? Are you using windows default built in drivers? lets find out together :)

Ubiquiti just replied with an amateur hour answer, which is strange as they have all the details:

Thank you for contacting Ubiquiti Tech Support!

As I understand the Windows 8.1 is not able to see the 5Ghz WiFi network.

Using the Device Manager as mentioned previously, locate your wireless adapter.
Right-click it, and select Properties from the dropdown menu.
Within the Advanced tab, click 802.11n mode. To the right, set the value to Enable.

When you’ve done this, click OK and restart your computer. You should now be able to see your 5GHz network.

To which I replied *before* reading your post above:
Thank you. As my Windows 8.1 can use the 5GHz band from a NETGEAR Router - it is proof that settings are indeed set up correctly.
802.11n mode is set to Auto. Correctly.
This is correct, it should be on auto you dont want to force N it's garbage.
This appears to mean that Ubiquiti is broadcasting a different type of 5GHz band signal?
yeah, ubiquity is wifi-6. I have a couple questions for this portion of the setup.
Are you using the same SSID/password on the ubiquity stuff as you are using for the netgear?
if so you could be running into some compatibility issues because ubiquity could be using wp3 instead of wpa2 which might be confusing windows 8.1 when switching between ssid's if they are the same, if not ignore this question.
Is there any way we could try to get an answer to my question, which is:

Is there a chance that Ubiquiti uses a different Wi-Fi version that isn't supported by Windows 8.1?
Yeah, it does, your links show that your netgear is wireless AC and the ubiquity is wifi-6 (AX)
What is it using, N Wireless AC Wireless AX wireless 6 etc.
wireless N is ancient and garbage I wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole Them suggesting doing that was, im guessing, to test and see if it's a compatibility issue as setting the network adapter to N would be limiting it to N speeds and protocols, which should work but probably wont let you see the network you cant see anyways.
Perhaps this is a fall back to 2.4GHz channel if 5GHz network type is not supported by Windows 8.1? So what is it using?
this is an unlikely scenario unless the current drivers are wrong, the drivers determine what the os can see not the other way around.
Ubiquiti's 2.4 GHz band can be seen but not 5GHz - while at the same time Windows 8.1 CAN see and connect to NETGEAR router's 5GHz band, but it cannot see Ubiquiti's 5GHz band.
5ghz isn't 5ghz isn't 5ghz there's wireless AC 5ghz wireless N 5ghz wireless 6 (AX) 5ghz all of these are on the same protocol as their 2.4ghz counterparts, just a different frequency with higher bandwidth. Now, the reason for updated drivers for AC devices to talk to AX devices correctly, the device has to connect/see the new network, then it has to negotiate with it, say "hey you got AX I can only do AC so let's compromise and use AC". In order to be able to complete this discussion it's knowledge has to be updated (via drivers) to know how to handle said negotiations, and sometimes even be able to see the network.

just like Wi-Fi isn't Wi-Fi isn't Wi-Fi, you can connect an AC device to a wifi-6 device granted you have the updated drivers for the AC device that have been updated to work with AX because AX is backwards compatible, so the issue is not with ubiquity it's with the adapter/drivers.

I just looked up your network adapter, and the latest drivers are from 2017, AX came out in 2019.
It uses an intel wifi chip, i've read they have some compatibility issues with wifi-6, not sure if it's fixable with a driver update for certain, but here's worth a shot. I looked up the model of adapter you are using it uses an intel 8260 chip, if you aren't installing drivers manually I'm almost certain windows is picking one for you.

ASUS stopped updating their drivers even though intel has been dropping updates for it, even all the way into 2022.
There's a link to the driver downloads direct from Intel, perhaps try to install one of those in 8.1 and see if that fixes your issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry, can't help with direct knowledge... but I can say I don't get that in my (admittedly less complex) network ecosystem (Spectrum cable ISP, Surfboard modem, Asus Router) thankfully.

As far as basic troubleshooting, maybe try forcing a connection to a specific device (5 GHz Netgear, 5Ghz Ubiquiti - obviously has to be done in 10 for the latter) to isolate the hardware and see if it's one of the devices in the 'loop' or a product of something else (config).

What device(s) is this happening with? Smartphone....tablet....PC....all that connect to it?
Does having to reload happen again after you 'connect' for the first time (wondering if it's just the connection pulling itself together in the initial launch)?
Does Windows 8.1 recognize anything 5GHz (I see your thread at some site asking this already - many other sites have suggestions on how to fix it, typically a driver thing)?
Did 5GHz network show on Ubiquity prior to the firmware upgrade?
What have you tried so far??

I mounted Ubiquiti on the ceiling making its 2.4 GHz signal stronger. It's still half of what 5GHz can deliver.

Yeah, the reason everyone at Ubiquiti has no answer is that yes, Netgear 5GHz can be seen and used under Windows 8.1.
Ubiquiti's 5GHz only shows up when I reboot into Windows 10.

I think the signal drop is only when I initially double click on a web site shortcut and only under faster 5GHz Netgear connection. I will start paying attention. PC Windows 8.1. No issues under Win 10.

UPDATE: Yeah, 5GHz is faster but the drops make it unusable.
The drops occur frequently, not just at initial launch.

..and this is happening with multiple devices attached to the NG 5GHz, correct? Not a single device? So your smartphone, tablet, desktop, etc all drop when attached? Did the scope expand to just connectivity in general? Do you get cut outs when streaming, for example, or just web browsing?

Worth noting, you should be able to edit your posts to add new info (assuming nobody posted after, of course). LMK if that option isn't available. :)

I'm seeing what I think is multiple issues. In terms of signal reliability, the first thing that I would do is check for interference. You can download a progam to your current cell phone or an old cell phone for example. I know a few co-workers love using the old Nexus 5 and some home grown software that is semi popular to do that.

An easier option is to turn off the Netgear WiFi and have UniFi do a site survey. I'd have to look it up but I do it at home a lot as we get new neighbors around the house. Setting my WiFi to the most open air waves helps increase my reliability and speed. I would consider keeping the Netgear off as too many "choices" for WiFi can cause Winblows to switch back and forth as it tries to "help" you.

You could also, after you do a site survey and adjust accordingly, tell your computer to forget WiFi that you don't want to use. This could reduce indecisiveness in the alogorythm.

For the Win 8.1 issue, I'd say you have a driver issue. Perhaps it's the same driver you have for Win 10 but it may be corrupt. I would kill it from the 8.1 image and reinstall it.

Oh. I would also update all my Ubiquiti shtuff. (Yeah I wrote Shtuff. What of it?) I tend to live a little too close to the bleeding edge but I don't do Beta. That's where I draw the line.

2nd Oh. I wouldn't boost the Ubiquiti 2.4 if you already get full bars. In fact, I would consider reducing power to the 2.4 so that you just get the signal strength you want. Then play with boosting the 5Ghz. Again, AFTER you do a site survey and adjustments.

Last edited:
For clarification, a site survey is nothing more than looking to see what radios are broadcasting on what channels. Back in the day, every router defaulted to channel 6 so apartment dwellers really had it rough.

Today, especially with products like the UniFi line, you can tell the software to scan all of the channels and it will pick the best channel for you.

Yes, often. Links are on my PC as shortcuts, it's MUCH quicker than opening a browser LOOKING for Bookmarks > LOOKING for specific links.
I could grow old and gray doing that.

Direct access to physical links on Desktop and WINDOWS Favorites folder.
SO much quicker.

I'm seeing what I think is multiple issues. In terms of signal reliability, the first thing that I would do is check for interference. You can download a progam to your current cell phone or an old cell phone for example. I know a few co-workers love using the old Nexus 5 and some home grown software that is semi popular to do that.

An easier option is to turn off the Netgear WiFi and have UniFi do a site survey. I'd have to look it up but I do it at home a lot as we get new neighbors around the house. Setting my WiFi to the most open air waves helps increase my reliability and speed. I would consider keeping the Netgear off as too many "choices" for WiFi can cause Winblows to switch back and forth as it tries to "help" you.

You could also, after you do a site survey and adjust accordingly, tell your computer to forget WiFi that you don't want to use. This could reduce indecisiveness in the alogorythm.

For the Win 8.1 issue, I'd say you have a driver issue. Perhaps it's the same driver you have for Win 10 but it may be corrupt. I would kill it from the 8.1 image and reinstall it.

Oh. I would also update all my Ubiquiti shtuff. (Yeah I wrote Shtuff. What of it?) I tend to live a little too close to the bleeding edge but I don't do Beta. That's where I draw the line.

2nd Oh. I wouldn't boost the Ubiquiti 2.4 if you already get full bars. In fact, I would consider reducing power to the 2.4 so that you just get the signal strength you want. Then play with boosting the 5Ghz. Again, AFTER you do a site survey and adjustments.

So the speeds vary according to NETGEAR Firmware used, so it's not interference.
I am on five acres with no neighbors around me.

How can it be a Win8.1 driver issue, if the PC sees and connects to NETGEAR 5GHz band but does not see Ubiquiti in 5GHz, only 2.4 GHz and moreover same PC indeed DOES see Ubiquiti 5 GHz when I reboot into Win10 on the same PC, it's a multi-boot.

Updates to Ubiquiti did not help.

So since I CAN get fine connections under certain Firmware and certain OS, that reduces number of variables.

Last edited:
Advanced > Advanced Setup > IPv6 > Internet Connection Type > CHANGE from Disabled to AUTO DETECT > Apply

You then must REBOOT Router.

THIS FIXED my old Netgear Firmware V1.4.1.68_1.3.28.
I then Factory Reset the NETGEAR Router.
For whatever reason, NETGEAR then does not allow Setup from a cable connected laptop (!) and requires you use a phone, download their Android App, which mandatorily installs additional NETGEAR monitoring software without asking on your cell phone, which blankets you with all sorts of icons and warnings that look like leaches covering your cell phone.

You then start the app, which immediately tells you you may NOT use ANY Firmware except the latest regardless of if it's buggy or not, so you MUST now install new Firmware or else you may NOT setup your Router.

So now okay, I am testing the latest Firmware with IPv6 SET to Auto Detect.
Of course I would like to use the latest Firmware but if it doesn't work, I will test the old one later. Here's hoping IPv6 was the cause.

I know it uncapped speeds on old Firmware.

I hope you are coming to the end of your troubles. My thinkning with the driver in Win 8.x is that Windows and Ubiquiti may be interpreting the 5GHz signal differently. Updating or reinstalling the driver in Win 8 may alleviate the issue. Maybe not. It's just a guess and a suggestion. Costs little in time or money to try.

Windows 8.1... it's not a surprise you are having driver issues, makes sense if other versions of windows are showing 5ghz ubiquity on the same network adapter.
It's 2022, they update drivers all the time to add compatibility and fix issues like you're having.

it would also help if you shared what models of routers you have, perhaps the ubiquity uses a different Wi-Fi version that isn't supported by 8.1? EG wireless N Wireless AC Wireless AX wireless 6 ect. They will fall back and use the 2.4ghz channel if they don't support the 5ghz network type.

The frequent disconnects, that's typical using netgear hardware.... the radio's in them die from a light sneeze in their general direction. It's a disposable consumer product, treat it like one and replace it. (like was suggested in all the other threads you've had issues with netgear )

another question, are you using different ssid's for all the signals eg "ubiquity 5ghz" "Ubiquity 2.4ghz" ect. because if you're using the same name and letting the router handle the "band steering" to direct them to which signal they need to be on.... that doesn't work with older drivers so the band steering will break and disconnect you.

Having multiple brands in the same ecosystem connecting devices to both on the same network is just begging for compatibility issues.

Didn't you also recently have your routers overloaded? Just because you CAN hold 32 connections doesn't mean they are going to be stable, they are going to disconnect that's the absolute max the hardware can handle, just like filling every usb port on your computer and trying to boot it, yeah it supports a ton of usb devices but it will not boot with more than a dozen things connected.

@wagex Good point about WiFi 5 vs 6. Or 802.11 AC vs AX. I would think that Win 8.x could handle 802.11AX but on the other side of that coin, unless @c627627 has brand new cutting edge WAPs, he probably has 802.11AC which I know will work with Win8.x.

The real question in my mind that I did not ask is: Why dual boot to Win 8.x at all? Win 8.x is the best of the worst M$ OSs. (That's not a good thing ;) ) I lump Win 8.0 in with ME, Vista and... I don't know. 8.1 was an improvement but I shun all Win 8.x.

@wagex Good point about WiFi 5 vs 6. Or 802.11 AC vs AX. I would think that Win 8.x could handle 802.11AX but on the other side of that coin, unless @c627627 has brand new cutting edge WAPs, he probably has 802.11AC which I know will work with Win8.x.

The real question in my mind that I did not ask is: Why dual boot to Win 8.x at all? Win 8.x is the best of the worst M$ OSs. (That's not a good thing ;) ) I lump Win 8.0 in with ME, Vista and... I don't know. 8.1 was an improvement but I shun all Win 8.x.
if it's an older adapter/driver it wont have support for the newer types and should fall back to compatibility mode usually on the 2.4ghz channel. usually if it isnt compatible it just wont show that ssid, but ive heard of weirder things lol

I hope you are coming to the end of your troubles. My thinkning with the driver in Win 8.x is that Windows and Ubiquiti may be interpreting the 5GHz signal differently. Updating or reinstalling the driver in Win 8 may alleviate the issue. Maybe not. It's just a guess and a suggestion. Costs little in time or money to try.

• I am using Verizon 5G at Home box , it's like a cell phone, only for home. No fiber, no cable.

• It is connected to a Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3600 Router, whose 5GHz band can be received by Windows 8.1, and whose issues were resolved by
Advanced > Advanced Setup > IPv6 > Internet Connection Type > CHANGE from Disabled to AUTO DETECT > Apply > Reboot

[it is unusable if you don't know about IPv6]

• Ubiquiti Access Point WiFi 6 Long-Range U6-LR-US is connected to the Router to handle 100+ WiFi household devices.

Now, the highest Tiers of Ubiquiti tech support have no clue why their product's 5GHz band does not work under Windows 8.1.
I am absolutely willing to experiment with this, and try anything you guys can throw at me.

...perhaps the ubiquity uses a different Wi-Fi version that isn't supported by 8.1? EG wireless N Wireless AC Wireless AX wireless 6 ect. They will fall back and use the 2.4ghz channel if they don't support the 5ghz network type.

another question, are you using different ssid's for all the signals eg "ubiquity 5ghz" "Ubiquity 2.4ghz" ect. because if you're using the same name and letting the router handle the "band steering" to direct them to which signal they need to be on.... that doesn't work with older drivers so the band steering will break and disconnect you.

Having multiple brands in the same ecosystem connecting devices to both on the same network is just begging for compatibility issues.

Didn't you also recently have your routers overloaded? Just because you CAN hold 32 connections doesn't mean they are going to be stable, they are going to disconnect that's the absolute max the hardware can handle, just like filling every usb port on your computer and trying to boot it, yeah it supports a ton of usb devices but it will not boot with more than a dozen things connected.

Very good. So where do we good to see which WiFi version is being used by Ubiquiti, whose 5GHz band works on Windows 10, but not on Windows 8.1, same PC, same equipment, PC is dual boot Win 8.1/10 - ideal for testing this issue.

Yes to different SSID.

All my overload issues are resolved by Ubiquiti which can easily hold triple digit number of household WiFI devices, whereas nothing you can buy at a retail Best Buy store can handle triple digit number of WiFi devices.
Again, NETGEAR stability issues were resolved by enabling IPv6 - everything is fine now, but one last thing: Ubiquiti's 5GHz band only works under Windows 10, and not under Windows 8.1.

don256us,
I am not using the dreaded Win 8 out of the box, it is used with Classic Shell add-on making it the best, most stable OS in Microsoft's History - a joy to use with Classic Shell.
Start Menu, with a custom made Windows XP start menu button I made myself. Windows 10 over its entire product history was a Beta testing ground using you all as Beta testers - Windows 8.1 users did not experience the kind of semi-annual OS reinstall problems Windows 10 users faced. All these years of Windows 8.1 use with Classic Shell was heaven.

Once again, look at the beginning of this post, Verizon 5G at home box is connected to the router whose 5GHz band CAN BE SEEN and USED by Windows 8.1 - thereby proving the equipment drivers are FINE.
Only Ubiquiti access point is transmitting its 5GHz band which cannot be seen by my Windows 8.1

So wagex, where do I look and what can I report back to start the analysis?

it would also help if you shared what models of routers you have, perhaps the ubiquity uses a different Wi-Fi version that isn't supported by 8.1? EG wireless N Wireless AC Wireless AX wireless 6 ect. They will fall back and use the 2.4ghz channel if they don't support the 5ghz network type.

Do you have another device you could load win8 on and test? Have you tried a clean win8 install? You have already proven the hardware works and is compatible. It's definitely a software issue. We need to start ruling things out. Ie, is it your specific install/hardware combo? or is it every win8 install?

You have already proven the hardware works and is compatible.
Help me out... we know 5Ghz shows on 8.1 with the Netgear so it isn't Windows. But does the ubiquity device itself have a firmware or driver update? I don't use them, so I have no idea if they need driver or if an updated firmware would help. But as was said several days ago, updating a driver/firmware is free and takes little time to test so perhaps it's still worth a try? If the ubiquity device is up to date and doesn't need drivers, then that's clearly not the way, lol.

We are at a point where highest Tiers of Technical Support at Ubiquiti could not figure this out.
Yes, immediately into the process, Firmware update was done, with no change between old and latest Firmware.

I had to re-open the ticket to ask Ubiquiti directly:

Is there a chance that Ubiquiti uses a different Wi-Fi version that isn't supported by Windows 8.1?
What is it using, N Wireless AC Wireless AX wireless 6 etc.

Perhaps this is a fall back to 2.4GHz channel if 5GHz network type is not supported by Windows 8.1? So what is it using?

When I upgrade my PC after next gen AMD comes out, I will test on another system, I do not have another PC in the house, and all my PC Laptops are old / not capable of using the 5GHz band.

A frightening thought just occurred to me, what if next gen AM5 does not support Windows 8.1!?! What if Intel Raptor Lake does not?
I would certainly go with AMD vs. Intel based on which still offer Windows 8.1 drivers. I cannot imagine using Win10/11 every day.

Last edited:
Back