• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get better cooling in case...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sektor

So as I continue the path for building my latest rig, I want to get some better cooling in my case.

My rig:

AMD 945 chip
ASRock Extreme3
4gigs DDR3 1600 GSKill
Nvidia GTX 260

I have an older gigabyte case. It is a full tower, with a 80mm fan in the front, two 120mm fans in the back (very quiet fans).

I ordered a replacement heatsink for the stock HS fan. Actually, it was given to me. It is a zalman 8700 I believe and plan on putting that on.

With that, I would like to get some better airflow through my system without making my system sound like a jet with all the fans.

With that in mind, anyone have suggestions?
For now, i will be stuck with the case. But perhaps in a month or two, I will replace the case.

Anyone have recommendations?

For the 120mm fans in the back, they are:

(1) 120mm Yate Loon
(1)NEXUS 120MM REAL SILENT CASE FAN

They are blowing the air out the back.
Was thinking of having one blow in and one blow out?

Looking for recommendations to keep things cooler inside.
Perhaps even mounting a fan somewhere in side and aiming it at the GPU and CPU?

THanks.

SEk

can we get a model on a case number or at least something that's close. I've never seen a gigabyte case, so i don't even know where to start. I can tell you that the backs as exhaust is probably a good thing...so don't switch them. Nexxuses are rebranded yates, so you've actually got the same fan :D

Cut out the stock fan grills, and replace them with wire grills. Especially if the stock ones are just a bunch of small holes in the panels. Also, while you are cutting out those fan grills, cut the front to a 120mm hole instead of the 80mm. Not only will you get improved airflow, but cutting out the stock fan grills will also bring the noise levels down as well, due to less restriction.:thup:

+1 for what Deadlysyn said. But be careful when you cut out fan holes in your case. It's not as easy as it looks. Take a fan and use it for a pattern to draw a circle on the inside of the fan housing. It's easy to make them too big. If you enlarge the 80mm to 120mm use a fan for pattern not only for the main hole but mark the screw holes with it to. Drill the screw holes before you cut the main hole. The difficult part of all this is that the metal is thin and tends to flex with them movement of the saw blade.

Last edited:
+1 for what Deadlysyn said. But be careful when you cut out fan holes in your case. It's not as easy as it looks. Take a fan and use it for a pattern to draw a circle on the inside of the fan housing. It's easy to make them too big. If you enlarge the 80mm to 120mm use a fan for pattern not only for the main hole but mark the screw holes with it to. Drill the screw holes before you cut the main hole. The difficult part of all this is that the metal is thin and tends to flex with them movement of the saw blade.

or just cut a square and drill holes at the corners to mount the fan :D

Back