• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get thermal pad of heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eab

How do you get it off? I have a brand new Thermaltake 7 that I am going to put on my brand new Athlon XP and I want to use it AS. I have used AS before but the heatsinks never had thermal pads on them. How do I get them off? Would rubbing achole work or should I scrape it off? Would putting a scratch in the heat sink be not good for it?

EBFoxbat

Registered
scrape it off with an old credit card.... then clean the surface with rubbing alcohol then lap and lap and lap the heatsink

EBFoxbat

Registered
try putting it in a freezer...it'll get very brittle and chip of after about 1/2 hour in there

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
The best thing to do is use acetone or lighter fluid to remove it. If you don't have any handy, you can use nailpolish remover (main ingredient is acetone). Then clean off the residue with alcohol. I personally use lighter fluid, then alcohol.

Tipycol

Just make sure you take your time and don't rush it. I used nail polish remover and just kept rubbing the pad off and it would come off very slowly one piece at a time. I was watching the movie K-PAX while I was doing it (which might have made it take a little longer :D), but all in all I think it took about an hour to get that thing off, so just be patient ;)

ziah

i peeled it right off. they must have changed the properties huh?

i used a razor on the last one i had. and did some lapping too as the razor adds fine scratches.

~z

~

Tipycol

CrystalMethod said:
If you let the acetone soak in, rather then trying to rug it off it goes easier.

That's what I did I think, still I wasn't using a blade or credit card to scrape it off, I was just using a lint-free cloth ;)

big_bertha

my personal favorite. take one of those compressed air cans and turn it upsiode down. the liquid should come out now when you spray. spray the pad for a few secs and that mofo will drop 50* in a matter of 30 seconds. then just chip it off with your finger nail or a pen lid or something