• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to improve laptop cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Statick

I've got a Mitac 8355 in at the moment, which is overheating badly.
I can't quote any figures as there is no temperature sensor inside it, but it powers itself off when it gets hot - and believe me it gets hot, i can't even touch the heatsink for more than an instant when its well heated.

the heatsink in question can be seen here > http://www.overclockers.com/tips1192/index02.asp

i've already replaced the crappy TIM joint with AS5 which has helped, but not enough.

i've never lapped a heatsink and from what i've read, i've as much chance screwing it up as i have improving it, if i've never done it before - and the heatsink isn't easliy replaced like a stock tower one. furthermore, there are 4 feet around the copper base which actually stand out further than the base itself, which would make lapping an absolute pig. (see this page > http://www.overclockers.com/tips1192/index06.asp)

i'm also wondering that, since the heatsink itself feels so hot, that perhaps the TIM joint is adequate, but the airflow is not - yet the fan is as far as i can tell, in perfect working order...

any suggestions would be great, i'm running out of ideas and out of time...

OP
S

Statick

actually i think i just solved it

those external coolers aren't really an option - i run my own business repairing PCs, and this particular laptop has been causing me a headache over the last couple of days. i can't return a customer's un-fixed laptop saying 'u need to use one of these' and charge them for it !!

turns out, as well as the awful TIM joint on the heatsink (with a layer of tin foil inbetween the thermal paste and the CPU - no paste makes contact with the CPU at all), the heatsink's radiator was completely clogged with dust. it looked fine, all nice and clean, from the outside, but the fan was rather dusty - so i removed it and had a look inside, and there was more than enough dust inside preventing airflow. i used an 'air-in-a-can' blower to blow it out from the other side, and it was so thick that this only dislodged a small amount - i had to swab the rest off.

i've just powered up the machine and with its newly cleaned airflow, and AS5 TIM joint, its already showing a massive improvement.

5|*42

Tyreal said:
The heatsink only feels so hot because the TIM is doing its job. No need to worry about that.
But it wasn't. There was a peice of foil in between the TIM and the CPU.

Also, if you have a really clogged heatsink, you could try blasting the dust out with water, if you need to dry it fast you can pour alcohol on it afterwards.

Sleepy_Steve

Clean dust out of the laptops HSF / blowers.... go in and mod the laptop...

Or, my favorite... out it in a real tower and wait does that defeat the purpose? Frankly my laptop gets pretty damn hot and i cant realy say how one makes it better other than putting it on a desk and putting some pencils under it to give a bit more air circulation.

WarriorII

Moderator #666
Was it really a piece of tin foil or one of THESE ?

Just wondering.

My suggestion was going to be dis assembly & clean & use AS5.

Glad you have it up & running now.

:attn: