• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install 64 bit Windows 10 with a Xeon E5450 CPU ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creativus

Registered
When I try to find an answer to this question I find many people getting a CompareExchange 128 error or some other problem like me but also some people that say they run Windows 10 with a Xeon E5450 CPU.

I've seen installing Xeon microcodes suggested but it was also debated.

I've been running a 64 bit Windows 7 with a Xeon E5450 CPU for a long time and as far as I know I can install a 32 bit edition of Windows 10 without a problem but I'd like to be able to install a 64 bit version of Windows if it is possible to be able to use more than 4GB of RAM.

Do you have any idea if it is possible ?

Would you alternatively recommend installing a Linux OS and running most software that requires Windows 10 that way ? I hear that is possible but I fear that would cause performance losses.

You mention someone else getting a comparexchange 128 error, but neglect to share what problem you're having. :cool:

That said, a bit of googling took me to this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

..where it says that CPU is not supported. I don't know of a way around it, personally.

That's a 14-year-old chip though, bud... it's time to upgrade. :D

My problem is, the hardware I have does like 95% of what I'm interested in doing and I doubt I'd still be interested in the other 5% if I tried, hardware prices are higher due to the chip shortage and mining which will be like 99% solved when Ethereum moves out of GPU mining and new chip factories come online within a few years, and processor manufacturing is entering a new phase of rapid progression thanks to EUV lithography so each new generation will be quite superior than the older one, all of which makes me want to keep on using my old hardware...

Since it sounds like you don't do intensive work on the PC, that prebuilt would be a great solution... you get a big upgrade now and W10/w11 support (likely already installed). Then when this 'phase of rapid progression thanks to EUV litho' (???) you mention pans out you can make another significant leap post mining/chip shortages.

I mean, I don't imagine doing much of anything on a processor from 2007...except some interneting and office work. None the less one that would be almost 20 years old in a few years. I'd cry running on something like that... even basic office type stuff.:chair:

EDIT: Just saw your post above me... gotcha. :thup:

I'd be interested to see if you can find a workaround to get your system to work... but it says it's not supported. Do you have a link to where you saw it working? I'd imagine you could get answers there if it was legit.

Since it sounds like you don't do intensive work on the PC, that prebuilt would be a great solution... you get a big upgrade now and W10/w11 support (likely already installed). Then when this 'phase of rapid progression thanks to EUV litho' (???) you mention pans out you can make another significant leap post mining/chip shortages.

I mean, I don't imagine doing much of anything on a processor from 2007...except some interneting and office work. None the less one that would be almost 20 years old in a few years. I'd cry running on something like that... even basic office type stuff.:chair:

EDIT: Just saw your post above me... gotcha. :thup:

I'd be interested to see if you can find a workaround to get your system to work... but it says it's not supported. Do you have a link to where you saw it working? I'd imagine you could get answers there if it was legit.

There are some old posts of people saying they don't have a problem like that but no explanation about how on threads asking about how to install / the problem of not being able to install 64 bit Windows 10 with a Xeon E5450. 2 things come to my mind about this, one is they actually run 32 bit Windows 10 with a Xeon E5450, and the other is they have a LGA 771 socket motherboard (some people use modded Xeon E5450 on LGA 775 socket motherboard like me).

Both valid thoughts..hmmm... crap. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of using such old hardware. :(

Maybe someone will chime in and know, but, unless you upgrade, I think you're stuck on W7...... did you think about using W8? It's better than 7 under the hood and if you don't like the aesthetic there's apps for that too.

Both valid thoughts..hmmm... crap. I guess that's one of the pitfalls of using such old hardware. :(

Maybe someone will chime in and know, but, unless you upgrade, I think you're stuck on W7...... did you think about using W8? It's better than 7 under the hood and if you don't like the aesthetic there's apps for that too.

If I remember correctly the same problem applies to W8.

Problem solved, I flashed the bios with a microcode file and now I'm writing from a 64 bit Windows 10 on the same hardware, so far no problem

You know reading through this thread, not once was the bios updated mentioned. Something we rarely overlook.

Glad you got it to work.

You know reading through this thread, not once was the bios updated mentioned. Something we rarely overlook.

Glad you got it to work.

Yeah, it seemed to work but later I realized my rather demanding games were crashing, so I went back to the bios code found on the manufacturer's site and installed Windows 7 again.

wondering what the rest of the system specs are ie motherboard. it has been a along time but some of the "core 2" family of cpus were able to do 64bit but not real 64bit. not sure how they explained it back then but the xeon cpu you have is harpertown. which i believe should be full 64 bit if you will, in either case, what ever motherboard your using. they didnt update the bios to take into account of using windows 10. the board im going to assume is EOL with them so they would do no further bios updates.

hopefully it works out, btw what do you mean by crashing. games crashing while in the middle of playing, crashing on startup?

You mention someone else getting a comparexchange 128 error, but neglect to share what problem you're having. :cool:

That said, a bit of googling took me to this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006105/processors.html

..where it says that CPU is not supported. I don't know of a way around it, personally.

That's a 14-year-old chip though, bud... it's time to upgrade. :D
what is odd is they do not list harpertown in that list.. i would then take it to mean it is supported but who knows. maybe who ever put that together left a few of the different "core" families out.

wondering what the rest of the system specs are ie motherboard. it has been a along time but some of the "core 2" family of cpus were able to do 64bit but not real 64bit. not sure how they explained it back then but the xeon cpu you have is harpertown. which i believe should be full 64 bit if you will, in either case, what ever motherboard your using. they didnt update the bios to take into account of using windows 10. the board im going to assume is EOL with them so they would do no further bios updates.

hopefully it works out, btw what do you mean by crashing. games crashing while in the middle of playing, crashing on startup?

what is odd is they do not list harpertown in that list.. i would then take it to mean it is supported but who knows. maybe who ever put that together left a few of the different "core" families out.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G. Rocket League was crashing when starting a match and I think Far Cry 4 was crashing during or after the first cutscene.

I'm playing Rocket League with this microcode now but I overclocked and apparently my overclock has been causing the game to crash. It was stable at 3.771GHz with 1.425 volt for 2 hours on Prime95 but then Rocket League has been crashing during gameplay and I got 1 or 2 boot failures according to bios so now I'm down to 3.6GHz with 1.45 volt.

The way this motherboard overclocks by default increases RAM frequency too but I didn't increase RAM voltage, so RAM sticks rated at 800MHz were working at 838MHz with the same voltage when the CPU was at 3.771GHz. Do you think I should have increased RAM voltage too or set RAM speed manually ?

when you run prime95 are you doing custom and setting the max size to the L2 size? as for the overclock its highly possible with the other bios it was giving more voltage(possible) then what it is now. what voltages are set to the ram in bios and ratio, what about the cpu voltage? im not sure on the P43 but maybe GB included a LLC option for cpu voltage, is that on or off?

when you run prime95 are you doing custom and setting the max size to the L2 size? as for the overclock its highly possible with the other bios it was giving more voltage(possible) then what it is now. what voltages are set to the ram in bios and ratio, what about the cpu voltage? im not sure on the P43 but maybe GB included a LLC option for cpu voltage, is that on or off?

It wasn't overclocked with the other bios. RAM voltage is on auto, and it must be 1.8 volt, I decreased CPU voltage 4 levels down to 1.425V, Rocket League crashed and then I increased it 2 levels to 1.4375V now, and played some matches on Rocket League without a problem. Somehow the first thing that becomes a problem is Rocket League crashes about my overclocking experiences on this PC.

if your not overclocked and your cpu voltage is 1.4+ for stock that could be the problem. normal range for harpertown is .85 to 1.35v, only overclocked is when it should be higher. now the older cpu's from "core 2" era had voltage as readable, could temp would display that voltage. sometimes though it does display actual voltage and i do believe it based on motherboard and certain cpus possibly not desktop core 2 parts.

i think what is confusing me and possibly others is you went from no overclocking to now overclocking it. if your running blend it uses both cpu and ram, but when making sure the cpu is stable. you need to follow my other post and make sure it will tax all cores with the largest size set to L2 size. as running blend will not fully test the cpu it will off load at some point to the IMC/ram. you really need to run prime95 longer then 2 hrs, as it will not go through all the cache size the cpu has in that short a time frame. once you narrow down its not the cpu then we need to check ram then. it the cpu foes fail in prime95 then small voltage steps up.

Back