• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install an OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drexel

I was told to just put in the disc, and go along with it, but now it gets to some"what aperature space do you want to use", or something close to that. None of the options I can choose will work, except for having two OS's, and I dont want that. Dont I need to reformat? Can anyone walk me through this. Dont I just reformat then pop in the disc? Anything important I need to know while doing this? Please, some help!

Sorry, should have included more info.

No, its not a new hardrive.
I have winMe right now, and am installing XP pro.

Uh, I had MSN messanger, but it doesnt work anymore. I did the upgrade to XP, but Im told to do a full install, and when I upgraded it doesnt work for some reason.

I dont want to have two OS's. I just want a clean install of XP pro.

It has an upgrade, and says(recommended). I did this one earlier. It kept all of my programs. Then it has the option for clean install, and says advanced. So, I guess it has both.

Assuming you want to start fresh:

(optional step)1. Partition the hard drive(using FDISK pre OS install, or 3rd party software(Partition Magic)post OS install)

2. Format HDD, NTFS or FAT32, I recommend NTFS(the install disk should do this for you, it should give you the option)

3. Boot to the CD and start the process

Do you have RAID?

I dont have RAID. I dont even know what it is.

It did give me an option for NTFS.

The install disc never gave me an option to reformat. It gave me crap about partitioned, and unpartitioned space , but wouldnt let me do any of the options. It had one to erase the partitioned space, but when I click for it it said it couldnt do it because it was holding temporary files in the space.

Cant I just right click on my harddrive in My Computer and reformat from there, then pop in the disc, and do the install?

you can't format from Windows, what you need to do is create a boot disk with FDISK on it, repartition your hard drive, then format using FORMAT. Then once the drive is partitioned and formatted install the OS.

a good place to get decent bootdisk is http://bootdisk.com here is link to a Win98SE bootdisk that has FDISK and Format on it.

http://dos.li5.org/IMGS/WIN98SE.EXE

click the link and save the file, then insert a floppy and run the program it will create the bootdisk.

Have you ever used FDISK and FORMAT?

I downloaded the and installed the boot to a floppy, but I have WINME not 98SE.

Doens't matter what you have, that is just the boot disk we chose to use, we selected it because it has FDISK and FORMAT on it, we could have WIN95, WINME, anything as long as it had FDISK and FORMAT.

I assume you have 2 computers, the one you are working on, and the one you are going to do the new install to.

Here are the steps:

Boot to the floppy disk(Once you create the bootdisk, install it into the machine(start/restart the machine with the disk in))

1. At the A:\> type FDISK and hit enter. This will start the FDISK utility.

2. We will run the utility and setup the hard drive as one giant partition.(this requires several steps)

3. Once the disk is partitioned then we restart again leaving the floppy in.

4. at the A:\> type FORMAT C:. This will format the hardrive

after that is done we will install the OS

Ok, Im really sorry to say this, but no I dont have two computers. Are you going to murder me? lol

I only asked that because once you start the process you won't have access to ask for help or to download any last minute items or drives you might need...

What you need to do is simple, but it nice to have someone walk you through, especially since FDISK can look complicated if you never used it before.

Alright so I need some kind of manual for FDISK?

I can probably do it on my own. Im not as dumb as I seem.

There isn't a good manual for FDISK and the values will look weird(it's and outdated program that doesn't handle large hard drives well)while you are running it, but I assure you everything will be fine. I will walk you through the steps of FDISK before you need to run it. Give me a second to type them up.

Back