• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install an OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FDISK:

1. Install and boot to the floppy.

Starting Windows 98.....
CDROM....

A:\>

Type FDISK and hit enter
Do you wish to enable large disk support(Y/N) [Y] hit enter
**Should NTFS be treated as large(Y/N) [Y] hit enter***may not appear

FDISK Options

1. Create DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive
2. Set Active Partition
3. Delete DOS Partition or Logical DOS Drive
4. Display Partition Info

Press 4, make a note of each partition, exit to main menu

Press 3, from there delete all the partitions you made note of, exit to main menu

Press 1 to Create the new Partition, make it the maximum(ignore the value it is assigned)

after you are done creating the partition, exit

you should be able to boot to the CD and install the OS and let it format the drive, if that doesn't work, reboot to the floppy and at the A:\? type FORMAT C:

this will format the drive C: and then reboot to the CD and do the install

If you want to do a test, install the floppy, boot to it, enter FDSIK at the A:\> go through the utility and when you get to the FDISK Options Menu select 4(Display Partition Information). Write down everything, ESC out, restart normal and let me know what you had.

current fixed disk drives 1

partition=C: status=A type=pridos volumelabel was blank underneath it

mbytes=14669 system=fat32 usage=100%

total disk space 14677 mbytes {1 mbyte=1048576 bytes)

Okay follow the steps I have laid out and you should have no problems. Once again after you have run FDISK and created the new partion try and boot to the CD and install(Windows XP will probably recognize the space and format it with NTFS). If for some reason the CD doens't recognize the space. Reboot to the floppy and type FORMAT C: at the A:>

GOOD LUCK.

I will send you a PM with my phone number in case you run into problems

Cool, Im going to try this sucker out.Thanks alot man. I dont know what else to say, but thanks. :)

Back