• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to install memory in all 4 slots of Sager NP9150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

inoek

Hello,

I need some helps here, so please :)
There are 4 slots of memory in my laptop Sager NP9150 and currently i am trying to install 2 sets of memory in my remaining 2 memory slots in my laptop (slot 1 & 2), while the other two (slot 3 & 4) already have memory installed on them (2x2GB pc1600 memory).
What i am trying to do is installing another 2x2GB pc1600 memory in slot 1 & 2. Its easily done by myself since slot 1 & 2 are located at the bottom of my laptop (meanwhile slot 3 & 4 located at the bottom of the keyboard). The problem is when i start the laptop, the power is on but its not doing any booting activities and after a while (about 1 minute) its dies by itself and starting power up again. Its going on and on until i have to (reluctantly) shut it down by hitting the power button longer (hard shut down). I already try resetting the bios by plug-unplug the bios battery but nothing happen. The laptop running normally when i uninstall the new memory in slot 1 & 2. The other thing i do are trying to move the memory form slot to slot, changing its combination, etc but still nothing happen.
Are there anything that i miss? jumper configuration maybe? Please could someone helps me? Its kinda waste if i don't install the 2x2GB new memory.
Thanks for the helps.

Best Regards,
Inoek

:welcome:

To me this sounds like you have dissimilar memory.

While you did not state if the RAM was DDR3 or DDR4, I'll assume that you have the correct type of RAM based on the fact that you were able to physically install it. You may have an issue where the RAM timings are enough different that they don't work.

Have you updated the BIOS? There may be a BIOS compatibility that is corrected with a new BIOS.

I tried to look up specs for your laptop but it will only let me do that based on the serial number which I would not recommend that you share out here in the open. Please post back with the exact RAM kit that you purchased and any specific information that you can give about your system as it relates to the RAM. What CPU are you running, etc?

Edit: I found that my own new laptop uses a variant of DDR3 called DDR3L. If you try to mix DDR3 and DDR3L you get the same issue that you describe. DDR3 requires more power to run than the "L" variant.

OK. I was wrong on getting to their support page. Here is what I found:

You can only use 4 SO-DIMMs if you have a quad core CPU. If you have a Dual-Core you can only use a maximum two of the RAM slots. Each slot can accept either 1333 or 1600 DDR3 at 2 or 4 GB each.

If your CPU is a dual core, the only way to upgrade your RAM is to pull the 2 sticks under the keyboard and replace them with 2 x 4 GB sticks.

Found from here:
https://www.sagernotebook.com/drivers/manual/manual_np91x0_n.exe

First of all thanks for the reply man, really appriciate it.
Aaand your reply is 100% true, make me thinking "Aaah, why didn't i check the proccessor type first before buying another identical memory, I feel like an idiot"
My laptop proccessor is Intel Core i5-3210M and its a dual core one. The memory set are 2x2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Corsair value and 2x2GB 1333Mhz DDR3 team elite while the video card is Nvidia Geforce 670m.
Thanks for the answer man, now I know the solutions its either upgrade my proccessor to i7 quadcore or selling my current 4x2GB memory and replace it with 2x4GB memory.

Best Regards,
Inoek

Make sure the CPU isn't soldered to the mainboard before trying to buy something.

Noted :)
Thanks for the reminder. I far as I know, if I remember correctly, Sager Xenom NP9150 does offer flexibility when it come to replace cpu, gpu, memory, and harddisk drive.
It is possible to upgrade to intel i7 quadcore because originally the laptop comes with an intel i7 ones but at that time (when buying it) I choosed intel i5 latest generation over the default first gen intel i7 after consulting and reading over various forums in the net.
Thanks again for the suggestion :).

Best Regards,
Inoek

I believe they do as well, but it's definitely worth looking in to before buying :)
Glad you found a solution!

Back