• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to insulate mobo for ss phase unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
e8500 on a p5q-pro. Although nothing to do with cb, had this thing running np at 9.5 x 482 on air so it should be ok.

Last edited:
pull it down to its coldest temps, then try and unplug the phase and see if it boots. MIGHT be a CB but it could also be something else

Computer starts up np with the phase change off. :/

If I don't care about ever RMA-ing the mobo, wouldn't it be easier to just paint the top and bottom with nail polish or liquid electrical tape?

What mb/cpu are you using ?

Have you tried running stock then turn the ss on ?

Does your board have a ketmod bios on it? If not, put one on. They're great for P5Q Pros.
My P5Q Pro had no issue with DIce temps.
Be aware that MOSFETs covered in eraser may fry on a SS, not enough cold goes into the board to keep 'em cool.

moocow- pulled up the eraser. Cpu and socket look great. Also...no signs of any water.

Bobnova- ketmod bios? newp. Will get the bios flashed tonight. Just to make sure...you mean the ones here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?200109-Modded-ASUS-P5Q-Pro-Deluxe-Premium-BIOS ? If so...which one do you suggest? p5q pro 2102m.rom? Just want to make sure.

Hmmm...think I can leave those MOSFETs uncovered? One row are pretty close to the socket (separated only by a tight row of caps).

Also...if I don't care about ever RMA-ing a board...wouldn't a better route be to cover the top with liquid thermal tape?

Last edited:
Generally you don't want to cover the mosfets or chokes.

I've used the liquid electrical tape route quite a bit, its good stuff. Still a pain to clean up, but a little scrubbing, sometimes with a brush and some Laquer thinner, and you can get it all up and pretty much into original condition. But its a pain to put down cleanly, and time consuming. (I have an entire motherboard actually coated in the stuff)

Thanks TsunamiJuan! Thinking of keeping a set of mobos around that will stay waterproofed....older sockets...775, 939...ones I won't use for anything other than phase. If I'm understanding you...it sounds like I'm best off just sticking with eraser.

Ewww...don't cover mosfets or chokes? Guess I went WAYYY too far. See my pic at the bottom of page 1...so I should only cover out as far as the capacitors on those sides?

The mosfets and chokes put off alot of heat under load, and the eraser tends to trap the heat raising them out of their optimum temp ranges.

Theirs nothing wrong with allways ready cold setups or those close to it. Since cold prep is key for sucessful extreme overclocking. However for a phase change setup, aslong as the socket area is insulated and doesnt have gaps in it for air to get through a mild amount of insulation is the way to go. Slapping down Liquid electrical tape just helps with some of the water proofing. You will still want the insulation if its eraser. Frost king, or something else to limit the contact of the outside air on the cold area. Aswell as help help the cold in around the socket. So that the units not trying to cool down the entire room (believe me it will try if it left excessively exposed)

Gotcha...thanks again. On another note....anyone know what kind of starting and/or max voltage to send to the cpu? Also...if someone could confirm that I'm looking at the right ketm bios for my board...that'd be awesome.

So...maybe the problem was the covered chokes and mosfets? Maybe the non-modded bios? Thinking can eliminate the waterproofing and insulation as potential sources of my issue? When I pulled the phase head off....it clearly wasn't fully centered on the cpu and part of it was on the eraser (a very short, thin strip).

There should be a text file in the zip archive that'll tell you.

Voltage wise, do you care about the chip?
Start at 1.5v and go up from there. When the chip stops scaling with volts, stop giving it more volts.

Thanks Bobnova. Don't care SO much about this chip. Do you know what the max is I should ever give it?

Now if I can only get the phase unit working! :\

Max ever? I think the board caps at 2.05v :rock:
Most core2 chips will start loosing clock speed as you increase volts past the ideal point. It's pretty obvious usually.

On phase with core2 chips I always start right around 1.55v. Then move on up to around 1.7v. If it clocks good I stop and save it for ln2. If it doesn't clock good I keep giving it volts :D

Update- Updated bios, re-did the top and woohoo!!! hehehe

So far, looks like the cpu is fair-to-middlin...looking like 522x9.5 @ 1.58125v. Just can't seem to get it stable at 525 and 1.6v (and that gets to 78C on wprime1024 before crashing)

Attachments

• e8500-4987.png
    e8500-4987.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 47
Back