• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to jack-up a 1.6 willy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msgpal

What options do I have for me to jack-up a 1.6 willy with these specs?

ASUS P4B266-C
512MB
WINFAST A170 DDR 64MB
40 GB 7200RPM MAXTOR 6L040J2
52X LTN526
ATA100 80-PIN ROUNDED CABLE (CD)
ATA100/133 80-PIN ROUNDED CABLE (HDD)
WINXP PRO

AND MY MIKE DOESN'T WORK!!!:mad:

anyway, it set me back only by $700.:D

batboy

Senior Moment
Increasing the FSB to about 112 MHz (1.8 gig range) should be fairly easy. Anymore than that will probably require more cooling and more work (such as increasing voltage, etc.). Also, above about 115 FSB will start running your PCI bus too far out of spec unless you can "fix" the PCI bus to default speed. Those Willies P-4 processors usually max out at about 2 gig even using exceptional cooling.

OP
M

msgpal

You're right! I set my fsb to 125MHz and running at 2.0GHz. Normal CPU temp=40 deg. C (104 deg. F) with CPU fan at 4800RPM. Chasis temp=35 deg. C( 96 deg. F). If I start to play the temps go more or less +10 degrees. I'm thinking about maintaining negative pressure inside the chasis and putting ducts directly toward the cpu fan. That's not the problem though. So far MOHAA and WarcrfatIII crash after a few minutes of play but the rest (SOFII, Delta TF Dagger, Renegade) run smoothly. I haven't burned it yet at that setting but I have to put my mods. in place before I do. What setting should I put on my PCI bus? Default is at 33. My mike still won't work!

batboy

Senior Moment
Once you do some cooling mods, you might try increasing the voltage a little, to like maybe to 1.8v to see if that helps with stability. What are your PCI bus speed options? I'd leave the PCI bus at default (33 MHz) unless you can manually change it to anything you want. If that's the case, then maybe try 37 MHz for a little more performance.

OP
M

msgpal

I can increase the PCI to that number, even higher though the manual is buried under a pile of papers, reciepts and other manuals inside the case box. Asus probe reports an ave. core voltage of 1.84v even if I leave the setup default at 1.75v. Is there something wrong with Probe? I've already downloaded and updated the newest BIOS and drivers for all of my hardware, I think. Anyway, I don't have anything in the PCI buses escept the modem and.....is the AGP connected to one of those buses?

My mike still won't work!

mirko_3

I have a 1.6 willy, and all i did was go to 133. No problems there, needed a small vcore adjustment in windows, didn't require it for stability in linux. Temps were around 52 at full load though...sometimes higher. I have a P4S333, and the Northbridge get waaaay too hot for my liking... i can't tough it for more than 5 seconds... but it's stable :p

batboy

Senior Moment
The real voltage and the BIOS settings don't always match. The probe reading is probably fairly close.

Not all 1.6 CPUs will do 133, actually it's probably the exception rather than the rule.

Don't forget the IDE controller which affects your harddrive and CD drive run off the PCI bus. The AGP bus is usually double the PCI bus.

OP
M

msgpal

I found a jumper in my board that increases the memory voltage upto 0.2 v higher. I set it at stage 2 giving my memory voltage setting at 2.7v. I set my v-core to 1.8 in the bios though the manual says it can take upto 2.1v? Is that wise? I also OC'd my graphics clock to 330 MHz and graphics memory to 500MHz. And my PCI is set at 37 MHz. So far I'm running my set at 2.0GHz with these settings for the whole week without crashing. Did some SiSoft burning at low, normal and high stress settings for 10 cycles running continuously in the background. So far so good. I need to tweak more 'coz I feel it isn't finely tuned-up yet. AND MY MIKE STILL WON'T WORK!!! 'Tupid built-in audio!

OP
M

msgpal

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I installed and updated Intel's Application Accelerator and Ultra ATA Storage driver. Are they of any use? Once I tried running at 133MHz FSB, it got passed the post and halted at winxp boot with a message saying that one of my sytem files is corrupted and wouldn't boot. What gives?

batboy

Senior Moment
Windows registry file corruption is typical when you push your system too far. I've heard mixed reports about the Intel Application Accelerator, but most people say it's a good thing. The Ultra ATA drivers are needed to run your harddrive at ATA100 speeds, so you'll need that too. Sounds like if you're stable at 2 gig using those setting you mention, that's a pretty good overclock, congrats and well done. Do not use any more vcore than needed. Overvolting heats up your CPU and decreases longevity. With the Willy if you have good cooling, 1.8v or maybe even 1.85v should be fairly safe.