• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to kill favorites\links?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noble2501

I keep trying to remove the links folder from my internet explorer favorites, but every now and then the folder returns, only the folder but not the links. How do I finish the job? :mad:

itshondo

I've done the same thing. Might try looking at TweakXP, there may be a fix there.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Unfortunately, there's no way to permanently remove the "Links" folder, since it's a required system folder, although the folder's attributes can be changed so that it appears as "Hidden"...Right click on the Links folder and select "Properties" | "General" tab | Put a check mark in the box for "Hidden". ;)

cornbread

Actually there is a way to remove it, I read about it in last months PC World, its a registry key that needs to be changed, but I don't remember what... :(. Maybe do a search on PC Worlds web site and see if there is any info.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
The Registry edit that they mention in that article only hides the "Links" folder...it doesn't actually remove it, since it's required by the system.

OP
noble2501

noble2501

What possible use could the system have for such an useless folder.. anyway the hiding worked, no more links in my ie favs menu. Thanks! =)

CrashOveride

noble2501 said:
What possible use could the system have for such an useless folder.. anyway the hiding worked, no more links in my ie favs menu. Thanks! =)

Only microsoft... You know you could move to a better browser... Mozilla Firebird perhaps? :D

deRusett

CrashOveride said:

Only microsoft... You know you could move to a better browser... Mozilla Firebird perhaps? :D

Its not better yet, but getting there.

IE is still the Standard, Still what everything is compared to.

I would probably run both IE, and Firebird if Firebird didn't have Tabbed Browsing, I don't know why everyone loves it, personally I hate it, and will use IE until a better browser with out tabbed browsing comes out

Anyway on topic, thanks for the Hiding tip, I just ignored it and Labled all my Favorites folders, a some name so they all apear before links,

CrashOveride

deRusett said:

Its not better yet, but getting there.

IE is still the Standard, Still what everything is compared to.

I would probably run both IE, and Firebird if Firebird didn't have Tabbed Browsing, I don't know why everyone loves it, personally I hate it, and will use IE until a better browser with out tabbed browsing comes out

Anyway on topic, thanks for the Hiding tip, I just ignored it and Labled all my Favorites folders, a some name so they all apear before links,

WHAT???? You don't like tabbed browsing? You are the first person I have ever met that didn't like it. Amazing... You know you could just not use the tabs... if you only have one window open then the bar for tabs can be made to go away then just open all your links in a new window... You still get mouse guestures and a plethera of other plugins, not to mention the best defualy pop up blocker I have ever seen (no problems at all, never get adds and it never takes away good popups- opera did that but still got some popups for me). Also every site I have ever tired short of the microsoft update site has worked. But alas if you really don't like it...

deRusett

I did not know about being able to turn Tabbing off, I figure why do I need tabbing when I have 2 Monitors and quite high resolustions,

I don't like Pop up blocking either, HA, I don't visit sites that have a plethera of pop ups, and those site I do visit which have them are trying to earn money to keep the site alive, so I do not block there attempts.

plus Internet explorer is still faster then Firebird though only by a hair

CrashOveride

noble2501 said:
I have never used firebird is similar compared to opera?

Yup... just better. It's less buggy and less bloated, and totaly free.

deRusett, It isn't exactly turning off tabs completely... just makes them not look like they are there when you arn't using them.. Meh looks like you are just wierd ;) :D

deRusett

CrashOveride said:

Yup... just better. It's less buggy and less bloated, and totaly free.

deRusett, It isn't exactly turning off tabs completely... just makes them not look like they are there when you arn't using them.. Meh looks like you are just wierd ;) :D

by wierd you mean Superior, then I agree ;) LOL
Lucky we have freedom of choice.