• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to OC an Voodoo 3 2000 PCI ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoNgOkO

HY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to OC my GFX card. It is an old Voodoo 3 2000 on PCI. I just want to get a few more mhz out of it. This is my first gfx card OC so i need all the info i can get. I read some artiles about OC an vid. card but they were very old. I know i have to remove the HS, but for how long should i put the GFX card into the freezer and what then whta to use to rmove the HS from GPU??? Which is the best HSF for my GFX card ( preferably from TT because this is the best u can buy in SLOVENIA ) What is the difference beetwen the thermal paste and the epoxy ( AC silver II or AC Alumina ) what to use and how to aplay it on the GPU?? Is it worth to make HS for the memory on the GFX card???

BTW: which software should i use to OC the GFX card?????????????

THANX

Monaco

I always used to use Gary Peterson's "Voodoo3 Overclocking Utility" to do mine. Good luck finding it now that 3DFX is gone...

To get the HS off, 15 minutes in the freezer should be enough. Leave it in for as long as you like, really, just make sure it is back to room temp and totally dry before you try to use it again.

I use the HS it comes with- I remove it, clean off the 3DFX thermal goo, lap the sink and GPU, and then stick it back on with thermal epoxy. Regular thermal paste conducts heat better, but epoxy glues it on without screws. Whichever way is better for you.

Mem sinks are not worth it IMHO, V3 has slow cool memory. But they look cool!:)

I got mine to 186mhz, thx to a fan pointed at it. Never could get it any higher. Thing ran too hot to easily cool off.

-=UR=- Ranger

Get Power Strip to overclock the Card....
You may use the standard Heatsink. Just take it off, clean that thermal pad, lap the HS and put it back on with some Arctic Silver exposy. Be careful not to short out the card with the Arctic Silver, as it is slightly conductive.
Afterwards put some Fan on the HS and you are done. A little Fan on the backside of the card might also help

OP
S

SoNgOkO

Hmmm i saw a price list and the Artic Silver epoxy costs about
20$ hre in SLOVENIA and i won`t spent 20 bucks on epoxy i will go to a local hardware store and buy some other thermal paste!!
Will just thermal paste hold the fan on th GFX card?????

How to lap a HS????

THANX

KLowD9x

Get some good cooling on the front and back of the card and I bet you can get a real good overclock out of it.

OP
S

SoNgOkO

Ok but how to attach a HSF at the back of an Voodoo 3 2000?????
And i still neet some info on laping ( what kind of sand paper do i need and how to rubb the surface, tip`s....)

THANX

Monaco

normal thermal pastes does NOT have any adhesive properties. It just creates an interface between HSF and the chip. If you want the paste itself to hold the HSF to the chip, without clips or bolts or anything, you'll need thermal epoxy- make sure to check the label before you buy. The naming on this stuff is really confusing!:)

I wouldn't worry about the Arctic Silver- get whatever you can afford, all the thermal pastes perform (more or less) the same.

To stick a HSF to the back of a voodoo I used some thermal tape- it's like a very fine weave of very fine fibers, soaked in strong thermal epoxy- its very strong, and nonconductive so you can stick it right on the back of the card. Basically it's hi-tech double sided tape:) RadioShack has it, don't know where else tho...

Lapping- get you some 220, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper and a flat surface to work on. Put paper on flat surface, rub HSF base on 220 grit paper till smooth, then switch to next higher grade of paper, and repeat. Wet-sanding works a bit better. Really, its pretty easy- lap as much or as little as you want, I stop at 600 grit but some folks go to 2000 grit for the mirror finish.

PsycoPhreak

The v3 2000 should have the little pushpin holes by the GPU, you could use a corb on it with ASII or ASIII. Even though 3Dfx glued the stock HSF on those things, they still provided the pushpin holes, I'd use them instead of epoxy...makes for an easier disassembly if you ever feel the need to take it apart again....:D

OP
S

SoNgOkO

I saw the pushpins!!!!!!!!! Has the Blue orb any holes so i an mount it to the puhpins??? what do i need to mount it there ( what kind of screws??? ).

i am still a bit confused about mounting a HSF to the back of the V3 2000. I can i aply thermal paste to the back instead of the theermla tape???? Can i use super glue to hold the HSF on the back of the card.

THNANX

-=UR=- Ranger

The blorb actually comes with pushpins which should go right into the holes in the pcb. Don't use thermal paste on the backside off the card, as you might short something out. I would't even put a HS on there. A fan alone should do, if you have a blorb on the front. I attached a fan to the backside off a gfx card with 4 drops of hot glue. Worked fine for me.

OP
S

SoNgOkO

Hmm now i am in doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will put an Blue Orb on the front of my card!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what about the back of the GFX card, should i put a HSF on it or just a fan, should i use thermal paste??????

Is super glue OK to hold the HSF on the card?????

Opinions needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LiGhTBoY

SoNgOkO said:
Hmm now i am in doubts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will put an Blue Orb on the front of my card!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what about the back of the GFX card, should i put a HSF on it or just a fan, should i use thermal paste??????

Is super glue OK to hold the HSF on the card?????

Opinions needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't really need a HSF on the back of the vid card. (at least I don't ). If I were you I would put the orb alone ( +thermal paste ) on the GPU and a 80mm fan near the card ( a similar setup to mine).

OP
S

SoNgOkO

Hmm nice suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But i have a bought 1 HSF already and i want to use it somewhere ( preferably on the back of my V3 2000:) )

I just need some tips on how to attach the HSF or just the fan to the bak of my GFX card.

Sorry to bother u with such stupid questions!!!!!!!!!!!

THANX

LiGhTBoY

SoNgOkO said:
Hmm nice suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But i have a bought 1 HSF already and i want to use it somewhere ( preferably on the back of my V3 2000:) )
You could use that HSF on your chipset instead of your card.Just MO

Tithulta

it's possible to make your own thermal epoxy....buy the best thermal paste you can afford and some regular epoxy. You can mix some of it together to create your own thermal epoxy. I don't know the correct mixture though. I would thermal epoxy the blue orb to it as it's much easier to put on in my opinion....just makes it a bear to take off again later if you had to.

Good luck finding the info