• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to overclock a gtx 285?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creecher

i literally have no idea how to do this.
every article i read talks about using like everest and rivatuner and otherstuff.
i downloaded these programs but have no idea what the heck they do?
are there any overclocking guides for beginners? i dont even know where to start changing setting! i cant find anything in the bios other than pic bus speed or somethin

can anyone tell me where to begin?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Its quite simple. MUCH more simple than CPU overclocking for sure...Its not done in the
BIOS.

If you have an EVGA GTX285 you can use Evga Precision (found at their site or many other places) to raise/lower the clocks. If Precision doesnt work, use Riva Tuner.

Furmark is what should be running in the backround to make sure the clockspeeds are stable. Run the stress test at 640x480 or so with 16xAA/16xAF. Chances are you will lose stability over 80C, so keep it at or below that mark.

Just unlink the shader and the core, then raise the shader in 20-40Mhz increments. WHen it freezes or artifacts, back it off a notch. Then do the same thing to the core, then memory.

Hows that for a begining?

(I will reply to your PM now RE: article)

OP
creecher

creecher

where do i go in rivatuner?

edit. just letting furmark run by it self, its already at 80 degrees
is there anyway i can put the fan into warp speed? noise is no longer a concern, because of the deltas.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
there are options in the customize arrows...you will have to click on one or the other to bring up other options. I use Precision so I dont recall specifically which one its under. Take a look fo yourself and find it!! :)

OP
creecher

creecher

i found out how to play with the fan! i put it up to 100% and the temps dropped from 80 to 66!
now to overclock!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Whoa whoa whoa....was that idle or with Furmark running?

EDIT: Forget it, missed your other ninja edit!

tinymouse2

It should give you "core clock" and "memory clock" speeds. You want to change the 3d performance if your interesting in games. But make sure of something... I think it's something like the memory clock HAS to be at least twice as fast as the core or something.

If you see shiney green splodges or random colours downclock it! You've got your memory clock to high.
If everything's exploding then downclock everything =P

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Your core cannot be more than 1/2 of your shaders (which is why I mentioned to o/c the shader first, then the core).

Only touch the 3d clocks. ;)

OP
creecher

creecher

it seems like everytime i leave the fan page, it changes the settings back to like under 25% so the temps just sky rocket.
is there anyway to lock them?
in clicking save and apply on windows start up. what else do i do

should i have furmark in xtreme buring mode?

now im at max shader with burn on, and its only 45c?

Last edited:
OP
creecher

creecher

these 2 programs are horrible. i overclock by 2 mhz and furmark crashes, taking all the nvidia drivers with it, so that when i try to open it again, none of it works. so then i restart, and then entire f'ing thing artifacts with an over clock of 2. then i have to go into safe mode and remove the program
i had to do this 2 times, and it was 2 times to many.

imo
furmark=big bag o crap
rivatuner=crap

in other words. its not worth a **** to overclock your graphics card

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
these 2 programs are horrible. i overclock by 2 mhz and furmark crashes, taking all the nvidia drivers with it, so that when i try to open it again, none of it works. so then i restart, and then entire f'ing thing artifacts with an over clock of 2. then i have to go into safe mode and remove the program
i had to do this 2 times, and it was 2 times to many.

imo
furmark=big bag o crap
rivatuner=crap

in other words. its not worth a **** to overclock your graphics card
I wouldnt say that as it works for everyone else...:shrug:

Try Precision. A much more simple interface.

tinymouse2

I've found unless you overclock it in steps (different for each card I've had) it will either straight away crash or crash when I put any load on it. It's going to be the same with EVGA precision I believe. You need to go in steps.

I'm a huge fan of rivertuner, haven't let me down yet. Been pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned :( I guess it's not for everyone.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
You do not need to go in steps.. its reccomended, but I have profiles (see sig) that I instantly jump to as known good.

The OP should be bumpingit up in 20-40Mhz increments for each.

amnios

Rivatuner is great for setting up autofans... meaning that you can specify what the fan speed should be at a certain temp.

I knew likely as much as you do about this when I first started... but then I found awesome video help on youtube and of course google.

You're best off to do a little research and reading on your own as you will feel a deeper understanding that way.

Typer rivatuner overclocking into youtube and you will be fine.

killem2

Also to anyone who is new to OCing gfx cards a lot of new motherboards have the option to general over clocking options DO NOT use these stupid things. They try and scale voltages with the increases. BAD BAD BAD,

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Also to anyone who is new to OCing gfx cards a lot of new motherboards have the option to general over clocking options DO NOT use these stupid things. They try and scale voltages with the increases. BAD BAD BAD,
WHAT??????????????? :shrug: