• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Overclock Intel xeon x5680 on ASUS P6T Deluxe v1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
within being, if you are at 1.65v on dram voltage- then you need to be atleast 1.25 on qpi/dram voltage and no less. Seems it puts the cpu in jeapordy as it has to power the ram.

Are we talking "DRAM Bus Voltage" here? - Minimum is 1.5V on my board....
That would put my QPI/DRAM Core Voltage in the range of 1.1V and 1.9V.... (If I keep my RAM at 1.5V)

Funny enough - In the "description field" on the right side of the screen, it says: QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: Minimum 1.2V, Maximum 1.9V

You guys want me to up the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage???

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

1.6V !!

Is that nitrogen cooling...
I think that amount of voltage will fry my CPU rather quick.

I could be wrong though!

I'm having "personal issues" going past 1.4V VCore

Heheh you’ll be fine. That’s 1.6v @ 4800, air cooled. I probably wouldn’t do it in the summer..

It's just that here I'm told that I shouldn't go any higher...

EarthDog and UltraTaco helped me out a lot on my last OC - So I'm kind of confused now :tinfoil:

I DO have pretty good cooling (if you ask me) - That might keep the temp down. But won't 1.5V - 1.6V degrade my CPU a lot faster than normal, despite my water cooler??

You misunderstood what I said. I said feed it voltage until you can’t keep it cool anymore. You said 1.4 is as high as you would go.. I said I was ok with 1.6, though I should have said for benching, not 24/7, but I thought it was a given.

Some CPUs like voltage and some don’t. It usually lets you know within a few minutes. For daily stuff if it’s not running @ stock, I usually run it between 1.3-1.4v, more if I’m feeling zesty.

Hmm... My message got deleted 🤔
Mobile editing 🤷‍♂️

Okay, thanks 👍

My PC is not running 24/7, but on the other hand I don't know when I will be buying myself a new MB, CPU etc.
So keeping it at 1.4 or below is pretty high up on my list (but not set in stone).

I have no issues keeping it cool at 1.42500 (tried it last night).

For science!!

IF I could get a stable system running 26x176 and a stable system running 22x208

What to choose??
Both are 4.576GHz

Tried these...
26x176 (~4.576GHz)
VCore: 1.4
CPU PLL: 1.9
QPI/DRAM: 1.4
The above was a no-go.

23x199 (~4.577GHz)
The above was a no-go.

22x208 (~4.576GHz)
The above was a no-go.

Increasing Vcore - Is that the only thing that would make the above work for me?

Oh - I have 6 x 8GB RAM installed - Don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Increasing Vcore - Is that the only thing that would make the above work for me?
If the ceiling of the chip is not what's holding you, then yes. Meaning, maybe your particular processor won't do 4.6 with your current cooling method.

My cooler CAN take care of the heat from my CPU. So in that regard I can easily give the CPU some more juice...

It's just that I'm not really happy about pumping too much voltage into it (even though temps are relative low).
Maybe it's just a "bad batch" CPU??

I have two of them and I'll be trying out both of them.
I just wanna make sure that I have reached the "limit" with this CPU before I move on to the next one.

The word "limit" doesn't really make sense to anyone here at Overclockers :attn: I know :D

But still - If there's anything I can do in order to get more out of it WITHOUT pumping it with 230 Volts, then I would really like to try..
Problem is that I don't know where to begin and how much to expect.

Being naive by nature I WAS hoping for 4.6GHz with this CPU at around 1.4V (I have to no avail tried with 1.425V).

have you tried to lower cpu pll to 1.7 or somewhere below 1.8. For it lower helped

Sorry, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Been really busy working.

Because I tried running Prime95 a few days ago (small FFTs) @ 1.425 Vcore, and none of my temps went alarmingly high (not stable though).
But I don't think I want to keep it that high.

I know some bench tests will create more heat than Prime95, but I don't think it will add more that a few degrees - I could of course be wrong here!!!

Last edited:
A little update - Haven't had much time lately, so the OC have been put on hold quite a few times.

But so far I have been trying the following combinations:

26x177 (~4.602GHz)
CPU PLL: 1.80 / 1.86 / 1.92

25x184 (~4.600GHz)

24x192 (~4.608GHz)

23x200 (~4.600GHz)

22x209 (~4.598GHz)

None of the above will give more that ~45 minutes of Prime95 (small FFTs).
I'd rather not go above 1.4 Vcore because of "reasons" :shrug:

I've been trying to adjust only ONE parameter in order to keep it "simple". So I dialed the "CPU PLL" this time.

4.6GHz would be SO great, I'm just not sure it's possible with THIS CPU if I have to stay at (or below) 1.4 Vcore - Unless you guys know what else to try.

If I find a BCLK/Multiplier combination that is stable with the above voltage settings, then my next step would be to try lowering those voltage levels again while maintaining stability.

Any words of wisdom? ("give up" doesn't count)

the qpi/dram voltage, if I remember correctly- needs to stay within .5 of your dram voltage
You have thos backwards, Sir.

Dram bus voltage has to be within .5 volts of your QPI/DRAM core voltage.
Here is an example:

QPI/DRAM Core 1.1v......DRAM Bus 1.5v-1.60v
QPI/DRAM Core 1.2v......DRAM Bus 1.5v-1.70v
QPI/DRAM Core 1.3v......DRAM Bus 1.5v-1.80v

On p6t, it's a little different. Minimum qpi/dram is 1.2v and you get a warning at dram bus 1.66v (goes in .02 increments, so it's either 1.64-OK or 1.66-NOT OK; can't do betweens). Their safe limit seems to be set to .45v difference, bit warning keeps lit after you pass 1.66 dram even if you increase qpi/dram

Back