• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to port-forward when ISP issues you a routed IP???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tea_J

Hi guys

I'm in a bit of a jam here..

damn ISPs are using ROUTED IP's for our DSL accounts in our Country (Philippines)

Basically, i have a Dynamic IP type ADSL account (PPPoE or DHCP), as w/ 99% of all households.. that's fine as I use DynDns anyway

I need to port-forward traffic to different machines on my internal network (192.168.1.x based) and that has never been a problem until our stupid ISPs decided to do their own ROUTING of some sort

So now instead of being directly connected to the internet, I am now behind their routers/firewalls.. they said they did this because they ran out of "ports" and IPs to issue their subscribers.. cheap ********.

So now, my WAN IP address differs from the one that the public sees!
PUBLIC IP as seen by ip2nation.com = 203.215.116.xxx
- the real public IP, shared with several subscribers

PRIVATE IP issued to router by ISP = 100.91.27.xxx
- the INTERNAL IP my router gets from the ISP's private network

PRIVATE IP (internal) of my webserver = 192.168.1.10
- my internal network

Is there any way i can get this darn thing to work given the above scenario?

If it's VPN, can you give me a quick overview how it can work? I mean I've done a bit of VPN and Tunneling but for private network setups over WAN.. i've never tried it for solving my above scenario and i cant find any documents that hints a solution for my problem...

really hoping there's a solution to this

PS
I've read a bit about openVPN and other similar services but it requires:
1) COST
2) Software Dependencies - and a dedicated Computer running VPN software..
... i'd like to avoid the above..

TJ

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Unfortunately if you do not have a public IP address, you won't be able to effectively port forward as your ISP would have to configure port forwarding on their routers. I mean, you could certainly try to configure a VPN to some other VPS or server where you have a public IP address but at that point, you might as well run your server on the VPS or other server that has the public IP.

OP
T

Tea_J

Unfortunately if you do not have a public IP address, you won't be able to effectively port forward as your ISP would have to configure port forwarding on their routers. I mean, you could certainly try to configure a VPN to some other VPS or server where you have a public IP address but at that point, you might as well run your server on the VPS or other server that has the public IP.

ahhh.. sucks :(

well, thank you very much for your confirmation..