• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to protect my files and folders?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

Well for this exhibition i need to take my rig to my univ, and i don't want people to go around sneaking in my files in any case, i will be doing standard bios and windows password, how do i ensure that my computer is safe from any unauthorized access??

i have of this software folder guard is it worth it?? can you people recomend any other software which can protect access to any file from windows AND dos ?

thanks

The Revelation

Registered
If you're really anal, you can encrypt everything on your drive with PGP. It can get annoying though, since every time you want to access a file/folder, you need to type your PW in.

Or, splurge on some voice/optical/finger-print recognition technology. :D

litghost

simply prevent them from booting(ie bios password), and lock the case(with a padlock)

if you mean while its running, i would create a bootable program that presents the data you want it too, nothing more(ie never boot into an os)

OP
baqai

baqai

litghost that seems to be a good idea, but i am really short on time, i was told my university on about a day's notice that my project was selected for this multimedia exhibition/comptetion and in this time period i have to work on this long seemingly never ending list of bugs i have in my app while worying about someone stealing my source file :(

and year there are many people who would just LOVE to get their hands on the source file

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
If you have to boot into Windows, I would go with the stuff you allready have, and if the computer it will be running on is Win9x, open the sys.ini file (I think that's the one) and there should be an option saying how long Windows will wait for you to press F8 to get into DOS. If you set it to zero seconds, there's no way (other than if somebody brought in a bootdisk) to get into DOS to do stuff.

Also, set the program to be run on boot of Windows by sticking it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CurrentVersion\Run
That should not allow time to get around. But they can still close the program and do stuff if you leave it unattended.

Though litghost's suggestion is probably the best if it's workable.

JigPu

OP
baqai

baqai

i am running XP Pro

here is what i have done till now

Bios is password protected and so is bootup

Bootup set to my Ultra ATA controller other boot devices disabled

There is no other OS so can't boot to do

Windows Logon p/w protected (i have no idea if someone wants to get in can he go around snopping with safe mode & safe mode with command prompt)

Screen Saver p/w protected

now my only concern is if anyone can go around snopping using the command prompt, i guess i can disable the "run" command or rename the cmd.exe to some thing else

err and do you ppl think i am begin too paranoid?

JigPu

Hey, being paranoid isn't bad... After all, you're learning how to lock down your computer in case there's something far worse that is trying to get in it :)

I would go for the CMD.exe rename, and also disabling the run (if you can in XP) since those would be the two main ways I'd get in. Also, if you can, delete any shortcuts to Internet Explorer, Netscape, Opera, or any other browser. They're just as good as My Computer.

Is it possible to create a logon just for this program's use? If so, you could make it an account where the user can't do anything, and also stick a refrence to the (passworded) screensaver in the registry startup so that when they log on to use the program, they will need the password to use the computer. Then you pretty much only need to encrypt your exe file so that it can't be run (or zip it up and tell WinZip to require a passoword). Should be pretty safe then. :)

JigPu

OP
baqai

baqai

thanks for all the suggestions, i think i will create a user account for this purpose and move all my sensitive data to my NTFS partition and perhaps do something with it

can i p/w protect / restrict people when using NTFS right? how can i go around doing that ?

OP
baqai

baqai

err guys its not funny so please don't laugh at me ..

i was playing around with NTFS security checking and err i can't access my drive now ... it says access not allowed or something,

i can't fix it with my adminstrator login err am i in some way @$%&@) ??

BTW my NTFS partition is e:\ , i can access it and view the files and stuff but i can only access certain directories, and i can access the files on the root can i fix this?

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
Umm sorry to hear what is now happening. I have an idea to keep your comp safe from people, never leave it. Gotta go to the bathroom shut it down and take it with u. If the info is that important to you then treat it as it were. If people laugh just ignore them. I hope you figure out what is wrong.

JigPu

I don't know what to say because I've never messed with NTFS securtity features (even though my drive is NTFS :rolleyes:). So I'll bump this up for somebody else... Help him out guys! :)

JigPu

OP
baqai

baqai

yeah please do coz i rebooted my machine and now i can access some more folders (than before) but still i can't access my full drive this is so strange

OP
baqai

baqai

anyone?? please

the wierd thing is that everytime i bootup a new folder gets "free" from the security i have given EVERY user EVERY right and still i have certain folders to which i dont have access too :(

garwain

I don't have any idas for the NTFS problem, however for a system lockdown, I'd do a quick run to the store and pick up a new HDD (or second hand, either way...) quick install of windows and any other required software, put the project on that drive and let it go with just the BIOS locked down (and possibly disconnected CD and Floppy) I would then have a restericted user with only enough permission to run what it needs to to prevent the mischevious deleting of files, renames, embarrasing modifications, etc.

Dark Disciple

Bios passwd, login passwd, screen saver passwd, and also encrypt your important files. And inspect your ps/2 (or usb) port for a keystroke checker from time to time. Most are round and about the same size as your pinky, they attach to the end of the ps/2 (usb) connector on your keyboard and record every keystroke you make on your keyboard. Would suck to have all that protection and someone attach a keystroke checker to learn your passwords.

BaldHeadedDork

From the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" desk:

Back up the files you don't want anyone to see.

Delete them from your drive before taking your computer out in public.

Reinstall when you get back home. They can't see what isn't there.

BHD

CrystalMethod

Senior Band Wagon Jumper
Easy solution, make a second account, and restrict access to the files. Put a password on the BIOS, user account, screen saver, etc... so only you can log onto the account.

Thelemac

Administratively Deficient
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of BHD.

Just put your app on a system that you haven't used for development (borrow a friend's laptop, maybe?) and go with that, or backup all your stuff, format and reinstall with just your app installed. KISS, baby. :D

Oh yeah, and you really should have posted this in Other Software or OSes. Or even Security. I'll be nice and move it for you, though. :)