• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to re&re out 2 Raptor 36GB RAID0s for a single 500GB SATAII on WinHP-32?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have only had 2x36GB for my o/s boot, apps drive since they came out. Now I am growing out of them, can I swap them out for a new single larger, say Seagate 500GB HDD, for Win Home Prem 32-bit w/o M/S Licensing Registration giving a care? Will I need a software too and will I need to pay for it? Also will I need a third HDD (eg. External HDD) large enough to be the go between for the transfer? I would really prefer to shuffle it all over as is, rather than re-install everything!!

I don’t think I’ll be searching too much today, but boxing day is tom, so if any hints or links, TIA.

OP
G

gamefan

I actually have the third HDD (and the replacement) , but I have never had to do this before!

SMTP

Registered
I actually have the third HDD (and the replacement) , but I have never had to do this before!

Pick up some disk imaging software, like Acronis. You should be able to just connect the new HD to the system, fire up your imaging software and transfer everything over. You may get prompted to active Windows again. If you are asked to call the activation line, just explain that your old hard drive died. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not migrating to another PC. Even then it's usually not an issue as long as it's not an OEM copy of Windows.

Imaging software is also useful for having a complete system backup that you can quickly restore from if there's ever a problem. I've always had good luck with Acronis, but there are others.