• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To: Run Application at Startup in Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Well, I'm stumped. I know how to add programs to startup, I know how to remove programs from startup, but I don't know how to add APPLICATIONS to startup.
The application in question is Pandora, from the Windows 10 Store.

If anyone can help, please do. I've exhausted myself attempting to find this via Google and Microsoft Technet.
Once it is figured out I will convert this thread into a How To and add it to the main Windows 10 sticky in this section.

Thanks in advance :)

Okay, wagex got it. Thanks buddy!

First step, hit Win+R and type:
Code:
shell:AppsFolder

Second, go to the desired app and right click. You'll choose "Create Shortcut", it will need to go to the Desktop.
2016-05-20 19_22_28-Applications.jpg

Third, hit Win+R and type:
Code:
shell:Startup

Lastly, move the shortcut to the folder you just opened, now your app will run at startup.

I found this. Hard to determine it's pertinence to your question. But it appears that Startup applications that can be added are only applicable to desk top applications, no Metro/UI apps.

Here's how I do it: Via batch files and a registry edit.
Add a STRING entry to the registry at HKLM\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Have it point to your batch file.
registry.PNG
And here's what the batch file looks like:
The bottom 3 entries are commented out so they don't actually do anything right now.
batch.PNG

Here's how I do it: Via batch files and a registry edit.
Add a STRING entry to the registry at HKLM\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Have it point to your batch file.
View attachment 179425
And here's what the batch file looks like:
The bottom 3 entries are commented out so they don't actually do anything right now.
View attachment 179426

This is a good method if you have an executable file to run, but my issue earlier was due to not having a file to call.

This is a good method if you have an executable file to run, but my issue earlier was due to not having a file to call.
I don't run WinTen so to me Applications is the same as programs to me so I'm having a difficult time understanding this.
So Pandora is just an .exe from the Windows 10 store? Or is it more like an Android app where there isn't some .exe but some file that launches the application?

I don't run WinTen so to me Applications is the same as programs to me so I'm having a difficult time understanding this.
So Pandora is just an .exe from the Windows 10 store? Or is it more like an Android app where there isn't some .exe but some file that launches the application?

It's more like an Android app. There is no .exe file for it.

I found a ton of JavaScript files, but those didn't work for me.

Back