• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to safely O.C. a gtx 260 on air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zantal

Ok this is a little guide i made for outsiders that may look on google with the keywords "how to overclock gtx260".

(Overclocks on air not water cooled)

If you think some information in this thread are wrong please notify me, and i will modify it as needed.

Ok let's start with some basics.

There are some things to remember before you continue to read.

First, you overclock at your own risk
Second, you may not have the same overclocking results as i do, as there are many factors that contribute in the process(PSU not powerful enough is one of those).

(e.g my friend couldn't go higher than 620mhz core possible he has a faulty chip but it works at stock so he was just unlucky PSU is good though)

ok let's get started.

for some serious Overclocking i recommend that you leave your case open
and that you buy an additional fan to keep the ambient temperature down.
because if the ambient temperature is 70C (and trust me it gets that high even with open case) your card even at full speed fan won't get under 80C

which is a no go for overclocking.

here is my setup with and without the fans (yeah i still need to find a good place to fit it in) Remember that the air has to blow on the PCB of the card and directly into the card's fan so it can get fresh air from the outside.
with this done ambient temp may not go higher than 60c and it makes a lot of difference trust me.

100_1040.jpg

Now you must read carefully the guide on how to change voltage of your cards (the guy will tell you to download rivatuner, but i suppose if you read this you already have it :p )
if you have an evga card compatible with evga voltage tuner it will be much better

you can find it here http://www.ocxtreme.org/forumenus/showthread.php?t=4427
but no, we are not going to overvolt the cards, (and this might sound strange) but undervolt them.
(note: Some ppl might find out that they reach max OC on def voltages or a notch higher, other ppl might find out they reach it with a little downvolt
it really depends on the card)

If you have carefully read that guide, you will have noticed that the default voltage of the cards in hex is 35, we will set that number to 34
(for evga ppl the default should be 1.125, dunno how that program works but
1.110 should do)

Edit2: 65nm cards default at 1.125v 55nm cards default at 1.06 (there is no need to undervolt 55nm cards but if you wanna try it isn't that risky)

now we are ready to overclock,

we will see now how your card behaves to the overclock
(please do not skip this phase)
set core frequency to 675Mhz, shader freq to 1350 and mem freq to 1152mhz and fan to 60%
(edit: remember core shader must be double or greater than core freq, rivatuner wouldn't allow you to set a lower shader anyway)

then run the most gpu intensive game you have (if you have crysis it would be better) set AA to 4x AF to 16x and all game details to max and disable v-sync (in some games that are not so much gpu intensive with v-sync the gpu usage will be very low)
Edit (you better use Furmark for stressing the card, don't know if it works in sli setup though (atitools don't when i tried it) in that case just try it out as i explained above)

test the game for approx 20 minutes, this should be enough to see how much the temp raises.
if it is above 75C you don't have the cooling necessary to go further.
if you see artifacting then set the voltage back to default or increase it by a little bit (36 max 38)
(if it still artifacts your gpu can't go higher whatever the voltage you set)
if the games simply crashes and you don't see artifacting it means your PSU is weak (not enough Current supplied, you should look at your psu specifications, but 2x24A should do)

if everything was ok and temps were about 60C more or less we can go further.

this time increase (remember still undervolted)
Core frquency to 700 Mhz , shader to 1400Mhz and memory 1200Mhz.
Repeat the step as before, the temp shouldn't go to high anyway, just by a couple C. if it doesn't artifact or crash, we can go further.

next step is 725Mhz core, 1450Mhz shader and mem still at 1200Mhz.
Some ppl might find out this is their maximum speeds, you can play around a little bit till it stabilize but in the end trust me it will crash anyway.

final speeds are 750 Core 1500 shader and mem to 1250.
This is my maximum speed. i can't go higher than this.
after 65C it starts artifacting no matter what the voltage i will set it won't do
(but if i set fan to 100% and with another case fan i can go higher although
the noise is too high by then)

after you have set your final card's speeds test the card for 1hr in stress in a game, if you see artifacting, well you know what to do, just step down a little in the overclock and it will all be fine.

These are my results in 3d mark vantage (ppu disabled)
i7 overclocked to 4.0ghz and 2 gtx260 216sp)

Immagine.jpg

My overclock were stable in sli configuration, they may not be in single configuration (unlikely).

Edit: Ok so today was a very hot one. temps raised by about 6C outside and 4-5C in my room, i thought that i couldn't keep the OC settings but i tried anyway
(voltage to 1.13 approx, 36 hex for rivatuner volt mod)
now in crysis at full load max temp is 71C, considering the heat in my room, it's very low and i am really happy the shaders don't complain about the extra 5C
in a week i will buy another fan (a very noisy and fast one) and i will try a new configuration to see if i can lower another bit off the ext temp.

stay tuned =)

Last edited:
Do I need to follow the procedure of undervolting from the ocxtreme guide or can I do a simple bios change? Great guide btw, been looking for one of these.

not necessary, but if you have evga card it's very simple (if you card is supported)
with evga voltage tuner.

you can try at default voltage, i decided to lower it a little just so the chip doeasn't heat too much. (sometimes heat > voltage)

(e.g if i set voltage to 1.2v i will soon see artifacting if i don't plug off the liquid oxygen of my grandfather and spray it all over the pc XD)

but guys, what i wanted to show with this post is that you can actually get very near to frequency most people thinks they can only be achieved with water cooling.
a good air cooling system sometimes is as good as a h2o one

just my 2 cent =)

edit: i will now see if there are any performance differences by lowering the ram speed, (the less we get that less heat generated)

Last edited:
One thing though, leaving the side cover open will most definatly have an impact on your airflow, in my case this even worsens my temps.

Furthermore, I have found that the volt mod( I've tried various mods) will not work on the 55nm cards, or maybe it's just because my card has a different PCB layout than stock

PS: ambient temp of 70c, where the hell do you live? a few hundred meters underground? :p

Last edited:
One thing, the core has to be HALF or LESS THEN HALF of the shaders. Anything more and it will BSOD.

Also, 55nm were already known to not be supported by the evga voltage tool. I would suggest a bios mod and flash like I did. See my thread on my overclocking and modding of the GTX260 216 55nm.

Also, default on non SSC cards are 1.06v, not 1.12. I UPPED my voltage to 1.12. ;)

One thing though, leaving the side cover open will most definatly have an impact on your airflow, in my case this even worsens my temps.

Furthermore, I have found that the volt mod( I've tried various mods) will not work on the 55nm cards, or maybe it's just because my card has a different PCB layout than stock

PS: ambient temp of 70c, where the hell do you live? a few hundred meters underground? :p

it really depends on the case. if you have one of the high end ones with many fans already in there is nearly no need to open it.

For cases that have a maximum of 2 fans opening the case will do a lot.

The volt mod doesn't work with 55nm cards no, and i don't think you can also increase the voltage with rivatuner, cards got to use the volterra voltage regulator which uses the register values to set the voltage and i don't think the 55nm cards are using that.

ambient temp refers to the measurement taken from the graphic card.
if there is no airflow after 1hr of gaming it really can get high to about 60-70.

One thing, the core has to be HALF or LESS THEN HALF of the shaders. Anything more and it will BSOD.

Also, 55nm were already known to not be supported by the evga voltage tool. I would suggest a bios mod and flash like I did. See my thread on my overclocking and modding of the GTX260 216 55nm.

Also, default on non SSC cards are 1.06v, not 1.12. I UPPED my voltage to 1.12. ;)

yepp forgot to say that, gonna edit the post right now (i am taking for granted ppl who might check this aren't really new to this my fault =) )

also i have noticed that to link core with shaders limits your oc, since it's the shaders that really are the limit to overclocking

about the default voltage: i think default is @ 1.125 as i read that value also on many reviews, and my POV wasn't a Super Super clocked version (ssc is from evga only?)

this is quite a funny story :p , i bought 2 pov 260gtx at the same time, and i tried to o.c them (this was before i knew about the rivatuner voltage mod)
and i was quite sad i couldn't go higher than 1300 shaders, there was 1 card that defaults at 1.06 and the other at 1.125, i just set them both to 1.1 and here i am good to go @ 1500MHZ =)

Bios mods are a little tricky, if something goes wrong it may be a very tough challenge to make it work again (with some blind flashing and so on)
and to overclock with that it takes sooooo long :p.
in that case i would simply not do that and get as high as i can without it, 55nm cards should get same clocks as 65nm without overvolting i suppose.

Last edited:
Awesome guide! I wish I had this kind of information when I started! Im glad good information is readily available!

However one little error I found...
if the games simply crashes and you don't see artifacting it means your PSU is weak (maybe not from the wattage side but more likely from the ampere side)

The issue I found was that you said "from the wattage side etc..."

Watts and amps are directly related since
P=IV
or
Power (Watts) =Current (Amps) x Voltage (Volts)

so if the amperage goes down, it means the amperage side is going down.
now given the equation, one could claim that the voltage could also go down to account for the power loss, however since PSUs voltages are within +/-5% to meet minimum ATX standards at worst the difference in wattage from this discrepancy is very little.

post edited, see first edit at the end of the post

Reference voltage is 1.06 for the 55nm GTX260 216. Some partners may have it at 1.12 already, but the reference voltage on non pre overclocked cards is 1.06.

55nm cards should overclock HIGHER then the 65nm as they run cooler and heat tends to be the limiting factor, especially on air.

Reference voltage is 1.06 for the 55nm GTX260 216. Some partners may have it at 1.12 already, but the reference voltage on non pre overclocked cards is 1.06.

55nm cards should overclock HIGHER then the 65nm as they run cooler and heat tends to be the limiting factor, especially on air.

the fact is my cards are not 55nm and one of them defaults at 1.06v and the other at 1.125

so i assume 1.125 is default for 65 cards, 1.06 is for 55nm cards

gonna edit it now

Not all the time however, I showed 4 phase change/LN2 setups what air power could do by overclocking a 8600GT 100% on air in a OC competition(vmod for vGPU and vMem was required), but yes, heat is often the limiting factor. Too bad I can't just use my Accelero SP1 on this card, would've been awesome

btw, the bios flash, does it really work?

edit: what does a stock card show for voltage in nibitor?

mine shows this:

Extra: 1.12
3D: 1.05
2D: 1.05

So I think my card already has the mod done by default right?

Last edited:
Not all the time however, I showed 4 phase change/LN2 setups what air power could do by overclocking a 8600GT 100% on air in a OC competition(vmod for vGPU and vMem was required), but yes, heat is often the limiting factor. Too bad I can't just use my Accelero SP1 on this card, would've been awesome

btw, the bios flash, does it really work?

edit: what does a stock card show for voltage in nibitor?

mine shows this:

Extra: 1.12
3D: 1.05
2D: 1.05

So I think my card already has the mod done by default right?

no

you should be able to change that value from 1.12 to 1.18 if i am correct.

i assume you know how to flash the new bios.

your cpu is no bottleneck trust me
you would gain approx 2-3 fps with i7

but if you wanna buy one, do as i did, screw the 940 and 965, get the 920 D0 with a good air cooler (no need for whater under 4ghz)
and make it scream!

Well, I'm at 3.5ghz with my cpu. I get 14300 score stock in 3dmark06, at 740/1550/999 I get 15029 points, and with my OC'd 8800GT I got to about 13800 points, so I really do believe that this cpu is bottlenecking the card(only a small glimpse at HWbot will show you that)

Well, I'm at 3.5ghz with my cpu. I get 14300 score stock in 3dmark06, at 740/1550/999 I get 15029 points, and with my OC'd 8800GT I got to about 13800 points, so I really do believe that this cpu is bottlenecking the card(only a small glimpse at HWbot will show you that)

can u run vantage? 3dmark06 is kinda stupid bench for newer cards since it doesn't use all their potential (i suppose)

I'll do a Vantage bench later :)

nice =)

remember to select no ppu,

i scored 22163 in graphics. that's in sli, in single it should get to about 11500, so if you get anything between 6-7k with your 8800 it should be ok :thup:

but i don't think we'll see cpu bottlenecking from that either.

edit: there was a review i have seen, the i7 was just a little bit ahed from the e8xxx cpus (i know it's not like your e6xxx)
but well that cpu is old now, the i7 simply goes through tasks like a knife in butter, and that comes from personal experience =) :beer:

Last edited:
Back