• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to safely remove linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bullet2binary

i just ordered a new laptop, so i'm going to go pure linux on that and stay windows on my main pc.. so how do i get rid of it ? last time i tried i couldnt even boot to windows and i had to reformat... :mad:

Evnas

If you have a Windows boot disk you can boot that and at hte A:\ prompt, type "fdisk /mbr" and your good as new...Windows will be the sole operating system that boots

Then just delete the linux partitions and merge the free space with your Windows partition

OP
bullet2binary

bullet2binary

Evnas said:
If you have a Windows boot disk you can boot that and at hte A:\ prompt, type "fdisk /mbr" and your good as new...Windows will be the sole operating system that boots

Then just delete the linux partitions and merge the free space with your Windows partition

no floppy drive :)

MisterEd

You did not say which version of linux you have. Most versions will have a rescue mode you can get to by booting the first installation CD. Once into that mode you can use the linux fdisk command to delete all the linux paritions.

Removing the linux boot from the MBR can be done in this mode also if needed. Post again if you need to do that and I'll look it up. The syntax must be correct for this to work so I do not want to try to guess what it is.

OP
bullet2binary

bullet2binary

MisterEd said:
You did not say which version of linux you have. Most versions will have a rescue mode you can get to by booting the first installation CD. Once into that mode you can use the linux fdisk command to delete all the linux paritions.

Removing the linux boot from the MBR can be done in this mode also if needed. Post again if you need to do that and I'll look it up. The syntax must be correct for this to work so I do not want to try to guess what it is.

i'm using mandrake 10. thanks.