• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOW TO: Search the Depths of Mcmaster.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
I've heard many express their confusion or frustration with trying to find things at www.mcmaster.com , and since it seems that one of my ever growing past times is playing with industrial catalogs I thought I might as well write out some pointers.

Tip #1: Be Vague
If you are unclear what you are looking for is named then it's best to start with as vague or generic a search as possible.

Here's the first practice run. Finding pipe size and threading adapters can be a pain unless you know how to narrow down your search.

1. Search for "Pipe Fittings"
2. Select material family (for the purpose of this search pick brass)
3. Now pick the type of fitting you are looking for. (click "nipple")
4. Click "Hex Nipple". A Hex nipple gives you a workable wrenching surface and a seat for O-Rings. Straight thread Hex Nipples will usually come with made-to-match O-Rings.
5. From the connection list select "BSPP x BSPP". BSPP is also know as "G"
6. Under size select 1/4
You have now found a G1/4 to G1/4 hex nipple male-male adapter.

Searching this way instead of using individual catalog pages will bring up a part specification sheet (if available) that gives you detail thread information and measurements to help you make sure that the part is exactly what you need.
http://www.mcmaster.com/library/8/840720/4860K603l.gif

To find other parts, like size adapters, simply start the process over. Starting with "pipe fittings" is about as generic as you can get and will allow you to narrow down easily. Reducing Hex bushing for example are the most cost effective way of adapting a pump outlet to a usable size for watercooling barbs.

Tip #2: Learn the terms
Now let's try a more complicated search.

1. If you want to buy tubing for a watercooling project simply search with "Tubing".
2. Choose Single Line
3. Choose unreinforced
4. From the page that pops up on the right start by selecting the Inner Diameter you want,
5. then the Outer Diameter.
6. Now pick a material type. Pick PVC, which is also a generic selection since it doesn't define what brand of PVC you are looking for.
7. Lastly you can pick a color if they are available and you want something other than clear. Certain sizes are available in black for only a few cents more per foot.
8. At the bottom of the page once your search has been narrowed to under 100 results you will have a price list that will allow you compare not only cost, but the features and specifications of the different brands and types.

Other ways to start a search for watercooling parts.
+ if you want to find multi-barbed brass fittings search for "barbed hose fittings"
+ if you want to find single-barbed plastic fittings search for "barbed tube fittings" (8 pages of them come up)
+ If you want worm drive or constant spring tension clamps just search for "hose clamps"
+ If you want to find a certain kind of screw search for "screws" then pic the type. Most case screws are under machine screws, but screws for mounting radiators you haven't tapped will be #6 self-tapping sheet metal screws.

And that's the basics. Mcmaster oddly enough is easier to search through then their paper catalog. But that's mainly because the paper catalog is 8 inches thick.

A note on their shipping: As long as all of the items on your order are available at the same warehouse and will fit together in one box, shipping of an individual order through UPS will typically be only $4. Items longer than 2 feet will end up in a larger box, or a tube and will increase the shipping to $6 or $8 depending if the other items can be shipped in the same container. The most I have ever paid for shipping was $65, but I was order $200 worth of raw materials of varying sizes from two different warehouses and as a result my total order had to be shipping in 4 separate boxes.

Last edited:
very nice.thats a very helpful bit!i gave up trying to find stuff at mcmasters because it was so frustrating.i think ill give another go now :)

Captain Slug said:
Frankly I think http://www.mouser.com is a hundred time harder to search through. I only use the paper catalog.

I'm with that, I have no problem with McMaster, they're very easy IMO. They have pictures for different divisions of products (tubing for example, has single, reinforced, multiple, etc.), and if not, it should be quite self-explanatory anyway.

The only time I've found MCMaster confusing is when I don't know what all the pretty spec numbers mean....but hey, I guess that's my fault ;)

This is some good info slug. I already found that using the search function is your friend when it comes to finding things. I love Mcmaster as they are in Atlanta and I receive anything next day, and they have outstanding delivery service.

voigts said:
This is some good info slug. I already found that using the search function is your friend when it comes to finding things. I love Mcmaster as they are in Atlanta and I receive anything next day, and they have outstanding delivery service.
McMaster-Carr does have fantastic shipping. The vast majority of my purchases are shipped from either Connecticut or New Jersey so they arrive in New York City the next day. They've got to be "selecting" warehouses close to the buyer, which means they've got to have some really good code behind the web face we see. I guess it's quality all around :beer:

nice guide, but personally, I've never had any problems finding what I need at McMaster-Carr :)

but let me tell you... they have EVERYTHING... AND MORE TOO!!! :eek:

Sneaky said:
but let me tell you... they have EVERYTHING... AND MORE TOO!!! :eek:
And things I didn't even know what they were called. Like escutcheons.
They even carry clothes, should you want to go on an arctic fishing trip in a few days and need the gear right away. :beer:

Lol, until I got their catalog, I never quite understood why women love shopping so much. Its almost like a holy grail. And want money so much, lol. Some of the stuff is way too expensive for me :(

Its become much easier with the auto-response deal. It tries to get you all close matches. But you have to look around, the other day I noticed I paid a few $ more for a certain SS plate because I didn't see a lower grade in another section. :bang head

Back