• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to setup static ip profiles in vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automiketic

My personal computer comes with me to work from time to time. To connect to the internet or anything else at work a static ip has to be set. The same goes for my home network. I have static ips on my network so that i can forward ports easily. What I have been doing is manually going in and changing the settings each time I move the computer. While I have the complete IP config memorized for both places its still abit of a PIA. Is there anyway to create a profile that say i can just go in and select as opposed to opening up the adapter and changing each setting individually. Thanks in advance.

BobbyBubblehead

yes somewhere you can manage profiles for each ethernet port or whatever device.

all going well you should be able to name both networks and have it recognise which your on.

not sure where it is exactly in vista... ive moved on.

if you dont know the host dns details... I use this one to identify mine becuase there my provider http://tools.virginmedia.com/

you can also open a cmd and use the commands to look up whats going off

Untitled-1.gif

TempliNocturnus

There are such things as hardware profiles that you can select in Windows, however, I haven't messed with them so you should probably google it if no one else suggest the same thing.

What I can suggest, and what I also believe to be simpler than hardware profiles, is to make two batch files utilizing the netsh command. Example:
Code:
netsh interface ip set address "Local area connection" static 10.10.1.10 255.0.0.0 10.10.1.1
where:
10.10.1.10 = host IP
255.0.0.0 = subnet mask
10.10.1.1 = Default gateway

Set your DNS server with the following:
Code:
netsh interface ip set dnsservers "Local area connection" static 10.10.dns

OP
Automiketic

Automiketic

Well batch files would definitly be easier. thank you. i have that there are a few programs out there that do this searching google but im almost certain I have seen it somewhere within windows before. anyone have any experience with this?

TempliNocturnus

There is one other thing; perhaps even easier than the batch file:
If you click on the "Advanced" button in TCP/IP properties, you'll see that you can assign multiple IP/subnet masks and default gateways to the same adapter.

I think I might have experimented with this a while back, and if I recall correctly, every time I moved locations, packets would drop for about 30 seconds to a minute, until the adapter decided to use the other IP info. Give that a shot and see how it works.

OP
Automiketic

Automiketic

yeah i have seen and played with that before didnt seem to work the way i wanted. but the batch files are working great
thank you again
Mike