• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to share Cable internet from Redhat 8 to windows PC's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtakias

Registered
I have a 4 PC's LAN,connected with a Netgear switch, at my house at the moment and my PC which is connected also to cable internet by Ethernet card shares the internet to the other PC's with M$'s Internet connection Sharing.
At the moment i use Redhat 8 as my Linux operating system.When i load it, linux can automatically detect the cable internet and configure it.But It wont share the internet to the other windows PC's.
I have read on the internet that in order to do that i need to setup IP forwarding,IP Masquerade...
But i am not really so advaned Linux user and when i tried to do it, i messed it up and then i had to reinstall linux.
Can anyone help me share the Internet from Linux to Windows PC's?

Any help would be appreciated.

KraziKid

You have to set up either iptables or ipchains. iptables is the program currently supported by the 2.4.* kernels, ipchains is supported by the kernel as well, but is usually used for kernels 2.2.*. You can download iptables from Netfilter. You will have to set up IP Masquerading on the LAN, in order for it to access the outside world. The HOWTO from the Linux Documentation Project is a great read fro beginners and advanced users. Here is the linkIP-Masquerade HOWTO. iptables can be used as a firewall too. If you read the HOWTO, it will tell you everything you need to know.