• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to start [email protected] in 2022?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Also, is there a way to monitor it remotely? Not so much change settings but see if they are working from the office.
As far as I know of, you can't monitor your folders from a different network, Harlam would be the 1 to talk to about that.

superducky

Team 32 Folding Member
You'd need a VPN between sites at either the host to remote network or a tunnel between the routers to monitor remotely. There's no cloud/remote connectivity to the monitoring clients at current.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Well. I'm learning things here so clearly others are best suited to update this sticky. Thank you guys. It is the team that I like and I appreciate the team's efforts on this. Thank you.

OP
BugFreak

BugFreak

I'm using my stats page as an indirect way to monitor them. I can't see what they are doing but based on my last turn in I can at least see they are working. It's not the best way but is doing the job.

On another note I tried to get my 3060 machine folding last night but it had some stability issues. Hopefully tonight I will be able to get that worked out and get her going too. Also I didn't realize that is a LHR card, that doesn't impact folding does it?

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I'm using my stats page as an indirect way to monitor them. I can't see what they are doing but based on my last turn in I can at least see they are working. It's not the best way but is doing the job.

On another note I tried to get my 3060 machine folding last night but it had some stability issues. Hopefully tonight I will be able to get that worked out and get her going too. Also I didn't realize that is a LHR card, that doesn't impact folding does it?
No, not at all.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Well. I'm learning things here so clearly others are best suited to update this sticky. Thank you guys. It is the team that I like and I appreciate the team's efforts on this. Thank you.
Whomever. Work together to make it happen is ideal!!! Apologies for asking, but, who's the folding team leaders?

@BugFreak - Are you able to change the title to something more appropriate?

OP
BugFreak

BugFreak

@BugFreak - Are you able to change the title to something more appropriate?
Yes I can change it to whatever. Since I just went through the process I can change my first post to be quotes from the rest of the thread then we can update that as necessary. I'll work on it tonight when I get home.

OP
BugFreak

BugFreak

So now I'm trying to understand stats a little. As expected I am moving up the list which is great, my question is on WU and their relation to points. My total WU are well below the people I am passing. Why is that? How are they weighted and why? Here is screenshot of what I'm looking at for reference.

stats.png

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
TL;DR Point inflation.

As the years have gone by and the technology we use for [email protected] has become better, points earned per work unit have increased. Back when I started, we only folded with the CPU and they were single core CPUs at that. Then multi core came in and guys were able to use 16+ cores on multi-CPU machines to do a lot of folding. Then GPUs took hold and could do much more work in the same amount of time compared to CPUs with floating point math on the GPUs and what not.

So back in the day, we earned fewer points per wu because that's all we could do with the resources availible. Today, we are all migrating to Nvidia RTX 3xxx series cards and are doing science for [email protected] at a much faster pace than we could have ever dreamed of when this all started.

Last edited:
OP
BugFreak

BugFreak

Figured I would use the same thread for a new question. How do I see the production of each machine separately? I would like to see what one of my machines is doing because I suspect it is not folding as often as I expect it to for some reason. Thanks.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Glad this thread got bumped up, didn't see it before. I was pondering how to add another GPU, and of course manually adding a slot should take care of that. I wonder, does the FAH client detect an additional GPU and start folding on it, or does that need configuring?

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Figured I would use the same thread for a new question. How do I see the production of each machine separately? I would like to see what one of my machines is doing because I suspect it is not folding as often as I expect it to for some reason. Thanks.
Get Harlam's HFM to monitor all clients and slots or use 1 client to monitor all the other clients (see below)

V7manage.jpg
Post magically merged:

Glad this thread got bumped up, didn't see it before. I was pondering how to add another GPU, and of course manually adding a slot should take care of that. I wonder, does the FAH client detect an additional GPU and start folding on it, or does that need configuring?
You add it manually, only time it will auto detect what you have is when you install the client.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
In most cases it will auto detect. You'll only need to add it if it doesn't. If you have one already running it will most always see the other after install. I never fold with the CPU.

If it doesn't configure it is almost always the software install (Linux) Windows is a bit foolproof.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
In most cases it will auto detect. You'll only need to add it if it doesn't. If you have one already running it will most always see the other after install. I never fold with the CPU.

If it doesn't configure it is almost always the software install (Linux) Windows is a bit foolproof.
After I swapped in the new EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold PSU and added to RTX 2060 to join the GTX 1080 and booted up, the FAHclient immediately detected & auto config'd the slot, and assigned a WU. Also allocated a CPU thread the new GPU slot.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Check the extra client
After I swapped in the new EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold PSU and added to RTX 2060 to join the GTX 1080 and booted up, the FAHclient immediately detected & auto config'd the slot, and assigned a WU. Also allocated a CPU thread the new GPU slot.
Tim, If you do not want the CPU to start by itself again...Look at Configure/Expert and the list of Extra Client options. If Cpu is listed as true. Change it to false and it will not start on its own again. Make it true if you want the Cpu.

If it is not there you can add it... (Name cpu) (value false). You may need to expand the window to see the add , remove options also to see the save ,cancel option

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Check the extra client

Tim, If you do not want the CPU to start by itself again...Look at Configure/Expert and the list of Extra Client options. If Cpu is listed as true. Change it to false and it will not start on its own again. Make it true if you want the Cpu.

If it is not there you can add it... (Name cpu) (value false). You may need to expand the window to see the add , remove options also to see the save ,cancel option
Dave, Is running the CPU taking away from the GPU's better PPD? If so, I'll dump it. With 16 threads I figured it's helping, but I see it's contributing only about 54K/day