• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Take Apart A Compaq??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Anyone know(step by step) how to open up a Compaq 5000 Series Case?

Here is a pic I found @ Amazon of my Case Design:

B00005QDWB.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Thx! :) :D :)

Milkman

I recently had one apart, the plastic bezel snaps in(No screws) but it doesn't come out easily, be careful as it seems like it would break easy, the drives are heald in on rails like an antec/chieftec case has.

mamer

RagingGecko

Registered
A hacksaw and a really large sledgehammer did wonders for mine.

Oh, wait, nm, that was after I got fed up with it for about the 50th time or so. :D

diggingforgold

When is it time to stop buying brand name systems? When you have to ask the OC forums how to open the case!

I think they have crossed their limits their. Proprietary parts, unopenable cases, ugh!

Only problem with home rigs is that you are responsible for most troubleshooting, which in my case, gets shifted to you guys!

OP
Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Uhm, I'm serious here guys. My CD Burner is causing random reboots and such and I need to disconnect the mofo ASAP.

Jeff Bolton

35three.jpg

jeff

reidroach

ummm, look around the back on the inside of the side that overhangs... if not there then build a new one, compa=teh sukc

garwain

About all I can contribute is :
many hours of playing with the case.

I can't even begin to guess from seein the front of the case. I usually get a good laugh out of my clients when I have to work on one of proprietary cases. One time, I went to install a CD burner in a clients machines, and the breakdown of time was 45 minutes opening the case, 2 minutes installing the burner, 5 minutes booting and installing the software

About all you can do short of following the advice from the demolition expers above, would be to carefully study the design of the case, and try to see where it might possibly come apart. If that fails, remove every screw you can see,then start prying at the seams with a heavy screwdriver. If it's not held together by screws, there must be clips somewhere. Once you have found the locking mechanism, then it might just be a matter of pushing and pulling in differnet areas until it starts to give.

Best of luck, if all fails, dropping the case from the roof of you house might help, if not, then I'd go for the 20lbs sledge... If that fails, then it's time to get a jackhammer

Disputant

lol, I remember when IBM shipped me the first batch of their x-series servers, took me a good half an hour to get the damned thing open. The next day my counterpart in Boston called me asking how to get into the case as well.

They looked cool as hell, but they made it hard on me. The next model to come out had a big blue latch on the side, someone must have heard my complaining.

cursor

I agree with Homer. Check out Compaq's website. To get an HP open I had to look at a diagram of the case on their website. I bet Compaq has something similar.

Good luck! If that doesn't work, you can always use a dremel tool and pop it open like a can of tuna!