• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to tell if mobo is defective

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elva lover

i've been having a few problems with my com (constant lockups even during simple tasks, errors) someone said that it might just be i have a defective mobo. how exactly do you tell if it's defective since the mobo runs?

Sounds to me like a processor temperature issue over a motherboard issue. What are your idle and load temps on your processor? What heatsink are you using?

i'm not too sure if it's a heat problem. my dilema is that if it IS a heat problem and i get the mobo. i am broke (i'm only 17) if i get the new cooling and it ends up being mobo. den i'm also screwed. my temps (as monitored by an Asus A7V mobo) is:
cpu: 59@idle 61+@full
mobo: 36 constant

however, one tym, when i took my com outside for a few hours 2 clean it, when i went back inside the house and plugged it in, the temps read
mobo:17
cpu: 27+

even then, it was locking up. so i'm not sure. I'mt not sure if a video card can cause it to lock up tho. my video card temp (monitored by the leadtek winfast geforce2 gts onboard monitoring probe) says the card edge is 53 while the surface is 63. critical temp is 72. so i'm not sure if that might cause lockups. i'm hoping those temp readings are accurate. because i've been told the a7v can b up to 10degrees wrong. if so, might mean that cpu is actually 71@full... so.. yea.

I think Oni answered your question ...and think that if anyone has problems of any nature regarding errors, freeze ups, ect...they should always post the temperatures first.......you took your board outside which im sure allowed the pc itself to cool down...meaning nothing especially during the dramatic thermal swing in temperatures to get up a normal temp. If I do the same thing with my overclock I will lock up. My temperature variates only a few degrees from idle to full load. 59C is the temperature you should note. Thats to hot to do diddy with......and the ten degree variation is dependent on the bios revision you are using. Regardless of this though I have never been able to get a mean clock going with asus probe reading above a 44c temp.....with that asus a7v333 board.....when temps dropped to low 30s all hell broke loose. So even if its off and your 59c is only 49c thats still too hot

Definitely its your temps I live in a tropical climate and will not allow my temps to go above 50c under load even if this means running the air-con in my computer room!

Back