• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to turn a heater core into a 240mm radiator (VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd recommend you build a shroud and use 4x120mm fans. The static pressure of fans increases as they get smaller, and 120mm fans already have pretty lower pressure anyway. Find some 120x38mm units and build a shroud.

Nice to see someone still using heatercores. :)

+1 Johan, especially if you arent worried about noise go with 4 San Ace/Delta/Panaflow 38mm fans and put some air through that radiator :D

Been running two pc with the Chevette heater core since 2004 or amd939 days.
My wife worked for a automotive warehouse and could get any parts for her car free.
While running a 2500k at 5000 linx gave too me many errors {Temp}.
This was the first time I ever reached 80c on any pc and the last.
The problem was much cat hair and dust got inside of a the radiator fan shroud.
I replaced the inside shroud with 140m fan so I can now see dirt build up.
Heater cores made good cheap radiator.

You sir, are awesome. When you going to start selling these commercially? :)

As soon as people start asking for them ;)

I'm not going to lie, this heatercore was the best mod I've done to my comp so far. Just checked and still no leaks. I'm running 36c watching an hd movie, running antifreeze and a crappy 240mm fan. Not bad at all. Better than idling at 45 :D

Now If I wanted to replace my 230mm fan with 4 60mm fans, would that create a much higher static pressure?

230/4=57

57=60

I wouldn't recommend using 60mm fans. 4x120 or 9x80 rather than 16x60mm. Of course the fewer fans the less noise you will have to deal with.

I am not certain about all of this. Their is no general rule, like smaller = less noise. With a 60mm fan you have a larger motor and less room for fans.

A large fan can produce different frequencies then a smaller fans. As far as thickness, well the thicker fans are usually AC fans.

As soon as people start asking for them ;)

I'm not going to lie, this heatercore was the best mod I've done to my comp so far. Just checked and still no leaks.
That's just the beginning! Next you will be cutting holes in everything and making custom towers that fit your exact needs.

This bring me back to the days when this was the only way to w/c a pc. Glad to see it still exists.

That's just the beginning! Next you will be cutting holes in everything and making custom towers that fit your exact needs.

This bring me back to the days when this was the only way to w/c a pc. Glad to see it still exists.

SCIENCE! lol, Well I had a custom application that needed tailoring. So I just made it myself, having no problems, I just want to know what fans I need to put in this bad boy

Bought 2 140mm fans for the front of my case (replacements) and 4 80mm. Working on making a shroud for it. I'll update with some pictures

Got home from work late tonight, started it off by replacing the front fans of my case, they have nothing to do with my radiator core, but I bought them along with the 4 80mm, plus this is my thread not yours.

Heres all 6 fans:
IMAG0030.jpg

Heres my HDD enclosures:
IMAG0031.jpg

Here is both the fans powered up, note that neither fan is spinning.
IMAG0034.jpg

Replaced the front ones and set both side by side:
IMAG0035.jpg

I'll add more in the morning. I'll wait till I have some work done on the shroud

Update!

I bought four of these fans, and have them all curently cooling my radiator.
http://www.directron.com/fd08025s1m34.html

Should I have gotten some better fans? I'm idling at around 37 and under load around 55. I'm also still running antifreeze, as i haven't had time to get actual coolant.

Do you think the antifreeze could be accounting to the raised temps?

Back