• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to turn on ACPI in Win2k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

a friend of mine installed Win2k on his comp, and he's wondering why it can't shut down automatically (and I'm wondering too). I think it's because ACPI is off, but I'm not sure. I said that he should check in Device Manager, in System devices, and there was nothing talking about ACPI in there. So how can he turn ACPI power management on ? I think he has SP2, not sure either. His comp is a Celeron [email protected] on a cheap mobo

Yakbak

In Device Manager, open up Computer. If it says Standard PC, he's not running ACPI.

Update the driver to ACPI-Compliant System, and that should re-enable it.

Note that this is a "dirty" way of re-enabling it, and all hardware willb e re-detected. You may encounter some problems, which may be serious. If that happens you may need a full reinstall of the OS.

stool

Make sure ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. 2K won't install the ACPI drivers if its not enabled in the BIOS. To verify it isn't installed, in Device Manager, click the + sign to the left of Computer and look for ACPI. I'm not positive, but 2K might recognize ACPI after the BIOS change and install the drivers lafter.

OP
M

minoukat

ok, he turned ACPI on, rebooted, and now Windows hangs before it starts loading. so now his comp can't reboot anymore. Suggestions ? thanks !

Bmxpunk86pl

yea dude ur gonna have to reinstall windows. BUT, u might be able to get away with it by going to safe mode, deleting all the devices in device manager, and then just reinstalling em.