• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How true is this? Best to overclock with PCI videocards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kunaak

A very reliable person told me this, but they are not around to ask more questions about this particular quote from an email he sent me. this part of the email has me very very curious, can anyone tell me about this?

"Even the epox cannot reach that speed (Note: he achieved a 223 FSB, and is telling me how he did it) using AGP video card, due to KT333/AGP divider limitations. The kt400 also has this issue. To use an AGP card over 200fsb you need a 1/6 divider"

so I am wondering, is it best to overclock with PCI videocards, or integrated videocards?
I have a PCI radeon 7000, so I am gonna try this tonight, but I just wanna see if someone can shed alittle more light on this for me sooner. since I am atleast 5 hours away from being able to test this today...

:D

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Will if you can find a KT400 where the 1/6 divider works. You can use either a AGP or PCI card cause you'll still be running in specs at 200 FSB if the 1/6 divider really works.

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

yes, but on my particular motherboard.

the PCI divider is nearly the same each time.
it's the AGP divider thats always different.
example.

5:2:1
4:2:1
3:2:1

in a few hours I'll try this myself, take my radeon 9700 out, stick my PCI radeon 7000 in, do all the drivers and such properly.
reboot.
then give a shot at beating my personal best of 195x8.5
I'll go low on the multiplier, and high on the FSB.

I hope I can get alittle higher.
I been trying to break 200 for sometime now.
thats my personal goal at the moment.

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

unfortunatly I did not get the chance to overclock and give this a chance, I took out my 9700, put my 7000 in and windows just went nuts. it would load, then say theres no driver, wouldn't even let me install the driver.
then I reboot, install the 9700 again to install the 7000 driver that way, that just made it go nuts again.
then I tried a repair install, it froze...
it was just hell.
I installed XP pro 3 times tonight.

plug and play.... yeah right.
plug and pray....

just spent the last 2 hours installing half of my usual programs, lost about 20 of my best screen shots of my overclocks.
a ton of music, and game saves.
next time I take a videocard out, I am just gonna wipe out the drive to begin with. this was just a nightmare.

I'll give it a try tommorow.
its late, I am still not finished, and I have work...

I did get a few things done, I installed a new copper fan for the northbride, its an "PCtoys Icechip".
to tell you the truth it's cold to the touch and looks exactly like the Abit fan that was on my board already.
it was a real pain to get the stock fan off, that thing was like bolted in place... took 20 minutes alone to get that thing off safely.
I also in the off chance this might help installed a copper heatsink over the south bridge. this came with my "PCtoys" copper fan, as a little kit. figured might as well use it...
I have no idea if these little things will help at all, but it can't hurt.

anyways, I'll give the PCI videocard thing a try tommorow...

tainice

to my understanding, only those who oc to EXTREME use pci video card..examples would be, p4 2.0g to 4g. for normal ocer, it does not matter much...i think 9700pro should handle high fsb well.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
If you get really high you may need to use agp 2x instead of 4x (or 4x instead of 8x). That will drop the agp card speed.

OP
Kunaak

Kunaak

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/1102/207x8 Everythings.JPG

I did it, broke 200 and WITH a pci card.
I'll try this again later with my 9700 pro.
it's a pain in the *** to switch drivers and videocards between my 9700 and 7000 so I am just gonna leave this as it is for now.

I am just happy as hell.
running at 207x8.
breaking 200 was my goal, but now I am at 207!
thats amazing.
that was very hard for me.
I just been grinning like mad for the last half hour.

maxima88

Congrats!

How about a sandra memory benchie.

Your score should be pretty high since you have corsair RAM.