• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How US Colleges Rate in Cyber Liberties

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jonny 2x4

This is from Wired magazine btw.

The Best:

1. MIT - Grants root access to anyone who asks. Runs on anonymous remailer and PGP key server.

2. Cornell - Has a strong anticensorship policy. If the school receives a copyright-violation complaint, it will only cut students' connections if they are proven guilty.

3. Vanderbilt University - Offers PGP and SSL. Liberal bandwidth usage policy.

4. University of MIchigan - known for great crypto research and rigorous privacy protection.

5. Carnagie Mellon University - Promises, in an explicit and clear policy, that student data is private property and will be protected as such.

The Worst:

1. Columbia - Monitors internet use and kicks students off of the network if they download more than 1 Mbit per second for 10 minutes or longer.

2. Tulane - Regards logging onto the network as a student's consent to look at any file, including email.

3. Tufts - Surveils campus Internet traffic at all times. Wi-Fi is forbidden.

4. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - Places students in a "penalty box" and publishes their IP and MAC addresses on the Web if they use too much bandwidth.

5. UC Berkeley - Runs a program called Bro that keeps logs of every URL visited.

Carnagie Mellon sounds kick ***. If I had to go to Columbia, I think I would commit suicide

OP
Jonny 2x4

Jonny 2x4

venom9007 said:
That sucks. I'm going to UC Berkeley next year and will probably dorm there. :(

/me pats venom9007 on the back

Everything's gonna be all right, rock-a-bye.....rock-a-bye... :D

DaveSauce

Michigan Tech's "resnet" says that you're not allowed to tamper with network security unless you have permission, so I would put that up near the top of the list, hehe.

But remember that MIT is an engineering/technology school, so there are a lot of computer engineers/science majors there, who will need to know networking very well....especially in a rigorous school like that.

Pinky

venom9007 said:
That sucks. I'm going to UC Berkeley next year and will probably dorm there. :(

It only says they 'track' the URLs and log the visits, doesn't say what, if anything, they do with that information... but why track for no reason?

BaldHeadedDork

So "cyber liberties" is an euphanism for condoning and protecting file sharing.

Nice use of propaganda, fellas.

BHD

Cjwinnit

B&
BaldHeadedDork said:
So "cyber liberties" is an euphanism for condoning and protecting file sharing.

Nice use of propaganda, fellas.

BHD

I'd better get rid of my Linux distro then...

What's wrong with file sharing?

BaldHeadedDork

Nothing is wrong with legal file sharing. Swapping Linux distrubutions, Winamp skins, and free use/public domain works is perfectly fine, and I doubt any of the "worst cyber liberty schools" would restrict their use or transfer.

But if you think that's what's flying across their networks or what they are trying to control, I got a bridge to sell you.

BHD

DaveSauce

bhd, notice there is NO Mention of file sharing in that listing. The only INFERENCE is the fact that one of the institutions kicks students off for using too much bandwidth for too long. That could be applied to legal or illigal downloading, I don't think they discriminate.

Cyber liberties refers to surfing the net without worrying about who's watching what you do. For all you know, they could be collecting URLs and selling them to an ad company for a little extra revenue. And that's just the surface of privacy....there are much worse things people can do with that information, such as kick people out of school for visiting a non-christian or anti-christian website from a christian university.

YES, those are extreme examples. But they are entirely possible.

edit:

I stand corrected.....#2 Cornell. But first it is only one of 10, and second it is not really the institution's choice. If the RIAA wants to bust a student, they don't need the university's permission. And I don't hear of universities kicking people out just for suspicion of illigal file sharing. Most of the time universities only prevent file sharing in order to preserve their bandwidth for serious research.

Annoyingrob

Here in Calgary, they run all school internet traffic through a main Proxy downtown somwhere, which mean long page loads. They also block any URL that seems like it may be uneducational, which is really bad because on many ocasions, it's blocked sites with actual educational information. Not that blocking one site will prevent the info on 100 more from getting through.

1 month to go, and i'm done HS. I can hardly wait.......