• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would this be cut?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, Im not sure if or how this would be possible. But I just bought a peice of 2"wide x2"long x3mm thick peice of Silver from RainMaQer. Now what I am wondering is, could I cut this in half? I mean by making 2 seperate peices that are 2"wide x 2"long x 1.5mm thick? I know that if I am able to cut it, it would loose some of the actual thickness in the cutting, but it would still be close to 1mm thick on each. This wont be for a peltier it will be turned into a water block. Any ideas? or suggestions?

I don't think you can cut it that way. Even a thin kerf saw blade (thin cut width) would be 1+ mm. Besides, when you cut the silver that thin, you start to loose the advantage that siver has over copper for heatspreading. The thinner the material, the less even the 'spread' is. It would also leave the block wide open to flexing down around the processor core, loosing contact in the center.

Just a couple of thoughts...Personally, I'd think it'd be far better to put the plate you have on the bottom of a copper or plexi block. Use a center punch to 'rough up' or 'dimple' the surface for max temp transfer. or four square die blocks like the silverbell.

Have fun, man!

Doh heres the pic

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 67
Interesting idea there. But I dont want the overall size to go to small. Cutting it like that would end up causing it to be way small. 1inch pieces. Not sure if thats what you meant, but that would end up with very little surface. Granted it would be just slightly smaller than the SilverBell, but Im not to happy with how small that is as well. But Its there. Dunno, Ill do something thinking while Im waiting on it, and even more when I get it... :D

It can be done, just not by hand. Or someone who's got some real skill and wouldn't waste their time on something like this. I wouldn't try to cut it by hand as there's too much room for error. You might be able to make a jig and cut it using a bandsaw, but I dunno... may work, may not.

stool said:
To be honest, that looks way too thin to make a waterblock out of.
Now it wont be entirely out of this, just the part that comes in contact with the core itself, thats all nothing more. :D

CrystalMethod said:
It can be done, just not by hand. Or someone who's got some real skill and wouldn't waste their time on something like this. I wouldn't try to cut it by hand as there's too much room for error. You might be able to make a jig and cut it using a bandsaw, but I dunno... may work, may not.

Thats what I was kinda thinking.. but wasnt to sure... figured someone may have an idea but looks like I may have to go to some kind of local metals shop... ack gawd, No car.. hmm.. maybe Ill just deal? :D

don't cut but set up like a shim on your block.....

make it into a nice medium in helping to transfer the heat - or if you cut it and waste its abilities go for looks and use it on the top of your custom waterblock!

Back