• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hows this 6800 im about to buy in a few min...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

consumer9000

Former STASIS Guy
I wouldn't buy it. You should really consider going PCIe because that card is pretty slow by todays standards. With the low prices on 7800GT's and the forthcoming 7800GS it's a waste of money to buy something as dated as a 6800 AGP. If you are going to go with a 6800 and plan to play games you need at least a 6800GT 256MB... :bang head

As for TigerDirect, they are fine.
And no, there is no chance to unlock the pipelines, as nvidia has hardlocked them in later generation parts.

OP
ati

ati

Im stuck with an AGP IC7. with an FX5200. I have no income only birthdays and gift money so this is how im gonna spend it. Next year will be PCI-E. So chance to unlock these? I though those were only the 7800 series.

ziggo0

Personally I would save about 30$ right there and go with a 6600GT if i was stuck on AGP & that was me. Although, if you were on PCIe, i would go with a 6800GS if you could spare about 20$ more.

Rattle

you can get a 6600gt 500/1000 clocks that will perform on par with those slow clocked 6800's with more ram lol

saw one on mwave for $129 after MIR

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Have two of these cards... one fully unlocks(newer), the other can't unlock the pipes, shader only(older). Since, I've stuck a Stasis cooler on the older one and have achieved (400/900) stable. ~10.5k 3DMark03. My fully unlockable card scores in the 9k+ range with everything unlocked and stock clocks.

3DFlyer

Banned
I would echo all the sentiments about getting a 256MB card. If you want to game anything new at all, you'll need it.

Also, if you are thinking of unlocking pipes, just go with one tha already has the full complement of pieps already...even if it costs more.

The chances of getting a core that is not unlocked and getting good pipes is almost zero.

The reason those cores are locked in the first place is *because* the pipes are bad. They bin them that way. The ones with good pipes go on the cards they sell that come with all the pipes unlocked, and the ones they sell with some of them locked are the ones that are binned with bad pipes.

You are taking a gamble when you try to unlock a card's pipes, and the odds of getting a fully functioning one are very low.

SolidxSnake

ati said:
Im stuck with an AGP IC7. with an FX5200. I have no income only birthdays and gift money so this is how im gonna spend it. Next year will be PCI-E. So chance to unlock these? I though those were only the 7800 series.

Don't bother with AGP. I am in the exact same position as you are in, just hold on to cash/checks you get for BDay/Xmas, and then save up somehow till you get enough (I'd expect around $600 for a cheap setup) cash to go PCI-E.

Ad Rock

Ignore the people telling you not to upgrade, if your only source of income for your computer comes maybe 2x a year waiting to upgrade would be foolish.

If I were you though I would just watch the classifieds for a sweet deal on an AGP card. You will get a better card than the 6800 at a better price to boot.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I made a guide for Pipes and shader unlocking in the nVidia stickie section..If this card can be unlocked it is a real good deal..There is also another member who got the generic flavor 6800 256 megs of ram and he was able to unlock it ! That card performed pretty well as I remember.

OP
ati

ati

where can in find the 256mb version? Also all this upgrade now thing..I will have to say no. Im tired of waiting. Last year people said go for the 6800 instead of the 6600GT that i was gonna buy and look how long it took me. By the time i have a decent performing card everyone else will be PCiE-28494489 or some other crap.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I say get it ..I unlocked and overclocked mine and got 11347 in 3D 03 with a 6800NU..So if this card is unlockable it easily stomps the 6600GT...

Careface

although, i bought my 6200 under the impression that it would unlock (it is NV43A, the extra pipes are there, they just wont let me unlock them for some reason).. so id have to say that if youre buying the card under the impression that it will unlock, youre making a mistake.. i know i did :)

Careface*

gigabit

I had that same card and it ran Farcry HL2 Doom 3 at some pretty nice setting. And i only had the extra Vertex shader unlocked,I think you will enjoy that card personally.I never had any trouble running anything at 1024x768 or even 1280x1024.With my P4 2.8c MO stepping 30 cap OCed to 3.7ghz and the card running 377/777 it ran an 11999 in 3Dmark03 and that was as hard as i ever pushed it.I OCed it higher than that a lot of times but never benched it at higher OC's.Just get a NV5 as soon as you can the stock H/S sucks for overclocking but you really dont need to OC it.One little tip even if you dont plan on OCing it OC it at least 5-10mhz on the core that make the fan run faster for better temps,

A1Killer

i would suggest atleast an 256 meg card youll def need it now for the card its self i suggest atleast a 256mb 6800 if possible and then go up from there if you cant afford an 6800gt i suggest waiting till you have enough cash to get a new mobo proc and vid card that way youll have some time before you need to upgrade

ScottinIndy

I have a 6800nu in another computer, I upgraded from a fx5200 to the 68 and the difference was huge. Mine unlocked and with newer drivers I can get over 12,000 in 3d03 with solid O.C. It still plays games well and since you can't afford to upgrade all your components I think you will be happy with the video card upgrade. Even if it doesn't unlock it still plays games pretty well and will be a huge upgrade over your current card.

mdameron

I went from a 6600gt to a 6800 and couldn't be happier... mine OC's well and unlocked perfectly, but of course, YMMV.

I play AOE3 and DoD:S perfectly on this rig...

EDIT: I nabbed mine for $135 shipped used off of the classified over at the [H], definitely look at classifieds here and there for used gear... lots of people making the switch to PCI-E and need to sell their old gear... leaves us broke people with decent rigs for the money spent!