• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this setup for my new PC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

The main thing I need to know is whether I'll have any problems running Linux or Unix and dual moniters on it. Also, if you have any other suggestions, please post them.
----------
The following group of items can be found at newegg.com, but I will buy some of them at different places.
----------
EVERCASE Beige ATX MID-TOWER CASE, Model "E4252-91" -RETAIL

ABIT nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S" -RETAIL

SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000(VE) Video Card, 64MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, PCI -OEM

DVI to VGA adapter for Twin-View video cards -OEM

Fortron 350W ATX12V Power Supply with 120mm Fan, P4 and AMD ready,

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM

KINGSTON 64MB USB Flash Pen Drive Data Traveler, Model KUSB/64

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model

MSI 52X CD-ROM, Model MS-8152(C52), Retail

Lite-On Beige 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S BEIGE, OEM

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5. 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube.

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium High-Density Thermal Compound: Ceramique . 2.5-gram( ~0.8 cc. ) tube.
----------
The following item cannot be found at newegg, so I have a link to its specifications.
----------
AMD Athlon XP 2400 Mobile 2.0GHz 45W 333MHz CPU OEM
----------
I will cool the PC with the centrifugal blower that Hoot used in his guide.
----------

P.S. I'm overclocking. Will the Fortron 300W PSU be sufficient?

Last edited:
If you're overclocking, i would stick with a 400W (of a good brand name of course), just to be sure.

Also, on the video card, i expect you wont be doing much 3D and you're gonna be dealing with several monitors, so i reccomend you get something from Matrox.

NovaShine said:
Also, on the video card, i expect you wont be doing much 3D and you're gonna be dealing with several monitors, so i reccomend you get something from Matrox.

Oh, I forgot to add that to my first post.

The most graphics-intensive application that I will be using will probably be Photoshop or a Linux application similar to Photoshop.

Stupid Boy said:
ABIT nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S" -RETAIL

If you install linux you will have to follow these instructions to get it working with the nforce2 chipset. Well, at least if you install Mandrake 9.2, but it might also apply to other distros.

Stupid Boy said:

The most graphics-intensive application that I will be using will probably be Photoshop or a Linux application similar to Photoshop.

Yea, so i guess a Matrox card would be for you since they're renouned for multi display computers and 2D Performance.

NovaShine said:
Yea, so i guess a Matrox card would be for you since they're renouned for multi display computers and 2D Performance.

But I'm not sure about Linux support (esp. for the multi-monitor features). If he were doing a Windows-only system I would've reccomended the Matrox Parhelia (best 2D IQ of any consumer level GFx card).

Mr.Radar said:
If you want to do Linux, I'd get an nVidia card. Despite it's 3d performance, I'd reccomend the FX 5200 if you want something cheap and with good Linux support (nVidia's drivers are wayyy better than ATI's on Linux). This or this look like they would do what you want to without breaking the bank.

In what way(s) are nVidia's drivers better than ATi's?

Woa wait a minute! If ur just gonna do Photochop, then you really dont need to OC at all. What you need is a cheap *** VIA board and a Nvidia 5900 that you can supsequentally flash into a $4k Quadro card.

An NF7 is a very poor choice for daily use! It is too hi-maitenence for just photoshop. VIA is much better for stuff like that, plus its cheaper.

In what way(s) are nVidia's drivers better than ATi's?

Two words: Compatability & Reliability

Sentential said:

Woa wait a minute! If ur just gonna do Photochop, then you really dont need to OC at all. What you need is a cheap *** VIA board and a Nvidia 5900 that you can supsequentally flash into a $4k Quadro card.

1. Why do I need a Nvidia 5900?

2. I don't need to overclock my CPU, but overclocking it may give me $100 more performance.

3. Do I need a "cheap *** VIA board" just because it's "cheap ***"? How "cheap ***" can they get?

Mr.Radar said:

But I'm not sure about Linux support (esp. for the multi-monitor features). If he were doing a Windows-only system I would've reccomended the Matrox Parhelia (best 2D IQ of any consumer level GFx card).

that's a pretty expensive card US$550 i think :eek:

Would I have any problems with this video card?

I'm modifying my purchases based on all the responses I'm getting. All I really need to know now is what video card to get.

Back