• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya, I can't push my cpu multiplier farther than 8 coz I know its a locked processor. I tried to add a .5 on fine cpu ratio settings, it show 3.4GHZ on bios but when I load up CPU-Z, it's still a 3.2GHz. Cant increase fsb because my SPD will be higher to my ram freq. I guess I'm stock at 3.2 unless I upgrade my RAM to 1066mhz. Is that right Earthdog?

You can see what headroom the ram has in it by pushing further. What is the exact timing and voltages on the ram? If you are at 4-4-4-xx, up it to 5-5-5-xx. But yes, if your memory ratio is 1:1 with FSB then at 400FSB you are at your ram's stock speed.

You can see what headroom the ram has in it by pushing further. What is the exact timing and voltages on the ram? If you are at 4-4-4-xx, up it to 5-5-5-xx. But yes, if your memory ratio is 1:1 with FSB then at 400FSB you are at your ram's stock speed.

Currently my timings are 555-12 and at a normal settings on dram voltage (default is at 1.8xxx something). I'm at a 1:1 ratio right now (400fsb, 400x8), any chances of higher oc?

Hi...Trying to overclock my E8400...Baby steps please!

Hi guys!

I'm new here and I'm looking forward to overclocking my E8400.

Before I begin here are some of my system's specifications:

Processor: Intel C2D E8400
Motherboard: Biostar TP35D2-A7 SE
Ram: Kingston ValueRam DDR2 PC2-6400 (KVR800D2N5/2G 1.8V) X2

I've read the article in the first post, however I'm still having some difficulties as to understanding how to overclock my processor given the different BIOS and motherboard as stated in the example.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/56533959.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/638/73772579.jpg/

My system memory multiplier doesnt seem to allow me to switch to a lower multiplier?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/265/49960964.jpg/

I saw the sticker on my ram, it says 1.8V, but in the BIOS there doesn't seem to be that setting.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/207/36879320.jpg/

Also, I don't understand how to read what my CPU voltage is currently set at.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/48725608.jpg/

Please let me know if there is any screenshots you would require to assist me :D I'll gladly take them and put it up!

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you for reading and have a very merry christmas!

Last edited:
my intel Q9300 c2q runes on different core temps, core1,2 and 4 runs on 39 degrees when idle. core3 runs 51!

@ IJ - Sorry I havent replied in this thread... You dont have much headroom left in the ram. At 400Mhz FSB you are at its stock settings at 1:1. Anything else and it will overclock the ram. The ram should have a bit of headroom in it but... it will vary.

@ Money - Im unable to read those links at the office.. sorry. Here is a screenshot of your bios (found by googling link -> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2173&page=3) you likely have to set that overclock navigator to manual to adjust those settings. CPU Spec voltage I think is your current reading. If not, grab CPUz and boot to windows and its listed in that application. Its honestly best to create your own thread for help so you dont get missed in this massive thread.

@ alek - Do you have a question about that? If you do, that is normal but that spread is pretty large. Was there a load on that core by chance? If you stress test the CPU, does that core go UP after 51C? If not, thanks for posting that information? :p

Last edited:
@ IJ - Sorry I havent replied in this thread... You dont have much headroom left in the ram. At 400Mhz FSB you are at its stock settings at 1:1. Anything else and it will overclock the ram. The ram should have a bit of headroom in it but... it will vary.

@ Money - Im unable to read those links at the office.. sorry. Here is a screenshot of your bios (found by googling link -> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2173&page=3) you likely have to set that overclock navigator to manual to adjust those settings. CPU Spec voltage I think is your current reading. If not, grab CPUz and boot to windows and its listed in that application. Its honestly best to create your own thread for help so you dont get missed in this massive thread.

@ alek - Do you have a question about that? If you do, that is normal but that spread is pretty large. Was there a load on that core by chance? If you stress test the CPU, does that core go UP after 51C? If not, thanks for posting that information? :p

if i stresstest my cpu all my cores stabilizes at 60~65C, but still i cant get my core3 temp. lower than 51C

Thanks again for the feedback!

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Overclocking a Gateway Profile 6.0(P4) or 6.5(E6500)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a novice!

I searched for the "best place / thread" to begin learning.
Is this the right "place"?

If so, I have several initial questions.

If not, please refer me to a more appropriate thread.

I have two stock Gateway Systems which I would like to learn on.
Perhaps they are overclockable or perhaps they are not.
How does one tell?

If they are, my novitiate logic tells me to first upgrade the CPU to the fastest CPU that will run on the Motherboard.
Is this correct?
How does one tell if a faster CPU will run on a Motherboard?

Once completing this potential upgrade, one would then begin the Overclocking process.
Is this correct?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Thanks again for the feedback!

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Overclocking a Gateway Profile 6.0(P4) or 6.5(E6500)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a novice!

I searched for the "best place / thread" to begin learning.
Is this the right "place"?

If so, I have several initial questions.

If not, please refer me to a more appropriate thread.

I have two stock Gateway Systems which I would like to learn on.
Perhaps they are overclockable or perhaps they are not.
How does one tell?

If they are, my novitiate logic tells me to first upgrade the CPU to the fastest CPU that will run on the Motherboard.
Is this correct?
How does one tell if a faster CPU will run on a Motherboard?

Once completing this potential upgrade, one would then begin the Overclocking process.
Is this correct?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

:welcome: to OCForums!

This is definitely a great place to start the learning process, or you could have started your own thread, doesn't really matter.

OEM systems like Gateway, Dell, HP, etc. are almost always not overclockable b/c the BIOS options on their motherboards are very limited. You can check the setting yourself in the BIOS and see what's available. Limited BIOSes are to reduce possible RMAs due to users changing settings that could damage the system.

The first thing you'll need to do is get a motherboard with overclocking options in the BIOS. You don't need the fastest CPU a motherboard can run, and actually many people intentionally get CPUs that aren't the fastest and then overclock them to outperform the fastest stock CPU available to save money and get more performance.

To tell what CPUs can be used in a motherboard, you need to know what socket the motherboard uses and then check the motherboard's supported CPU list, usually on the board's manufacturer website.

So, once you have a overclockable board, then the overclocking can begin :thup:

I only hava a Kingston ram without any heat spreader. I don't think I can OC my Ram. And funny thing I dunno how to OC my ram. Can I OC my Ram and how? thanks :)

You either have to go over a 400fsb w/ a 1:1 SPD or you would have to switch the SPD ratio to something higher then 1:1. Right now im at a 425fsb w/ a 1:1 so my ram is at 850mhz and overclocked by 50mhz. I cant do this but for example if i left my fsb at 425 and switched my SPD to a 2.4 ratio (instead of 1:1) my ram would be 1020mhz (425fsb x 2.4). You would have to determine through stress testing what your ram is capable of though, you cant just change the SPD and be done because its unknown what your rams max overclock is.

oc stability help

please i need to know whats wrong with these settings because i cant get my reg to get stable

mb: rampage formula x48 1002b-r4 bios by solor
cpu: e8400 c0 vid: 1.2250
ram: a-data 1066Mhz 4x2g

Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
OC From CPU Level Up [Auto]
CPU Ratio Setting [09.0]
FSB Strap to North Bridge [333]
FSB Frequency [445]
PCIE Frequency [105]

DRAM Frequency [DDR2-1116MHz]
DRAM Command Rate [2N]
DRAM CMD Skew on Channal A [auto]
DRAM CMD Skew on Channal B [auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channal A [auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channal B [auto]

DRAM Timing Control [Manual]
1st Information
CAS# Latency [5]
RAS# to CAS# Delay [5]
RAS# PRE Time [5]
RAS# ACT Time [15]
RAS# to RAS# Delay [auto]
REF Cycle Time [Auto (52)]
WRITE Recovery Time [auto]
READ to PRE Time [auto]
2nd Information
READ to WRITE Delay (S/D) [auto]
WRITE to READ Delay (S) [auto]
WRITE to READ Delay (D) [auto]
READ to READ Delay (S) [auto]
READ to READ Delay (D) [auto]
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S) [auto]
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D) [auto]
3rd Information
WRITE to PRE Delay [13] -----------> a-data recommendation
READ to PRE Delay [auto]
PRE to PRE Delay [auto]
ALL PRE to ACT Delay [auto]
ALL PRE to REF Delay [auto]
Refresh Period [auto]

DRAM Static Read Control [Disabled]
Ai Clock Twister [auto]
Ai Transaction Booster [auto]

CPU Voltage [1.4750v]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.62v]
North Bridge Voltage [1.59v]
DRAM Voltage [2.38v]
FSB Termination Voltage [1.58v]
South Bridge Voltage [1.125v]
SB 1,5V Voltage [1.60v]
Loadline Calibration [Enabled]
CPU GTL Voltage Reference [0.63x]
NB GTL Voltage Reference [0.67x]
DRAM Controller Voltage REF [Auto]
DRAM Channel A Voltage REF [Auto]
DRAM Channel B Voltage REF [Auto]

CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spred Spectrum [Disabled]
Cpu Clock Skew [auto]
NB Clock Skew [auto]

*CPU Settings*

CPU Ratio Settings [09.0]
C1E Support [Disabled]
CPU TM Function [Disabled]
Vanderpool Technology [Enabled]
Execute Disabled Bit [Disabled]
Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]

:welcome: to OCForums!

The first things I'd try is setting the FSB-NB strap to 400MHz and set PCIe back to 100MHz, increasing PCIe can really make things screwy so I suggest not doing it. Then, I'd set your RAM speed below rated spec (2x FSB for 1:1 ratio) so you can work on just the CPU while knowing that OCd RAM isn't causing problems, and make sure RAM timings and voltage are set to rated specs. Your NB voltage looks high for your FSB, and your vcore seems high for 4GHz as well.

thanks for the reply ((MattNo5ss)) but my setting is after more than two years of slow trying.:D
my cpu need at least
1.40v vcore just to get in windows, and prime stop instantly after start.
1.45v to run the first prime test and stops in 2nd or 3rd test.
1.475v to complete at least 15 prime test.

what i need help with is::confused:
DRAM CMD Skew
DRAM CLK Skew
DRAM Static Read Control
Ai Clock Twister
Ai Transaction Booster
DRAM Controller Voltage REF
DRAM Channel A Voltage REF
DRAM Channel B Voltage REF
CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIE Spred Spectrum
Cpu Clock Skew
NB Clock Skew

all the prime test are small ftt s
thanks.:salute:

Keep the spread spectrums disabled, but none of the others you listed matter for a 24/7 OC and can be left at default.

PCIe at 100 and FSB-NB Strap at 400MHz are what I'd really change. Increased PCIe doesn't help FSB on LGA775, and increasing the FSB-NB strap to 400MHz will put less stress on the NB.

Also, the SB voltages can be left at default since they don't have anything t do with the CPU or RAM.

PCIe is 100 now :D
NB v is now 1.55 :D
FSB-NB: at 400 will get me ram speed of 890 or 1186 :eh?:
890 are a bit:rolleyes: slow and 1186 my rig wont boot so i will keep it as it is unless you got something else for me. :confused: and yes its 266 not 333 sorry for the mistake.
SB voltages: i will keep them like this because i feel my HDD feel a bit snappier :confused: tell me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
We have the exact same board in our projector machine for media at church. Chip is E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz CPU. I added another system fan and have 2x2G gskill pc8500 ram with heat spreaders.

Last night tweaked it up to to 3.5Ghz on the CPU at 962Mhz on the 4GB of RAM. Beyond that kept getting RAM errors on boot up. I see there are a few options I can disable for no need for vPC option or CPUID.

It ran last night under the Window's Experience Test no higher than 60C and ranked the CPU from a 5.7 to a 6.8 in experience.

Regular use while I was setting up our Media Presentation slides it ran 35C C1 and 28C C2 most the night but I felt a significant improvement when setting up my slides due to faster processing. RAM wise I never seem to use over 30% which I thought was my issue for delay but seems it was CPU bottle necking not RAM for this program.

Thanks for the Post

Back