• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - A Guide v1.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You may be having a HDD issue. This MoBo has some issues w/ certain HDDs. What kind of HDD are you using, and do you have the 3Gb jumper pulled? Also, are you running any kind of RAID? Do you have the BIOS set to IDE, AHCI, or RAID (assuming you have a sata drive)? Which port is your HDD plugged into?

Also, how much voltage are you feeding your RAM?

BTW - You really should start a new thread for this topic.

I reset everthing and reinstalled vista coz I thought it might have been one of the gazillion apps I loaded that may have caused the trouble. My intent was to begin from zero and go with one app at a time. Now, on a fresh new install, I'm still geting the "hanging"
Please advice on this......I am quite frustrated........it took 8 months to convince my lady to allow me spend $1700 on a new rig....now the thing won't work right.....you can imagine how she feels. Here are my specs below

@KuntaKinte - so this hanging problem occurs when running stock and when overclocked? How many days did your run your system before overclocking it (i.e. are you sure it preformed well from day 1)?

Also, I think if your overclock setting is stable to prime95 for 5+ hours, it'll be stable to anything; p95 is about the most stressful app out there which produces loads and temps higher than most anything else (which is why people use it to torture test hardware for stability).

PS: Vista took over 2 hours to install......not sure if that means anything

Hmm... that seems like a red flag to me. Do you have XP SP2 you can try? It is far less buggy than Vista. You won't catch that on my machine until at least SP1.

Also, like Jason said, how is your HD(s) configured?

Please start a new thread on this topic just pasting your last post and making a link back to this thread. You'll probably want to also make a post in this thread stating that you made a new thread and here is the link. Anyway, do that and answer my questions in your new thread.

when ever i install coretemp and i load it, it keep saying could not load the driver some options will no able.... what kind i do? i have wv ultimate x64

Good guide. FYI, Speedfan has a beta that can correctly identify the stepping on C2D & C2Q processors and the offset is not needed. See Speedfan's Beta Area for details and to download.

greetings - ive got the Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI board and an intel QC6600 B3 stepping.
i can get my cpu stable at 1280MHZ FSB so 2880 MHZ / Core.
1,4 VCore 1,58V NB.

when i try 1300 or 1333 MHZ FSB my pc wont run stable and just shuts down sometime.
Ive read that increasing the CPU VTT shoud help getting a stable system at higher FSB Settings - but if i increase the VTT my system gets more unstable - ive run out of ideas and nead help - i dlike to have a stable ystem at 3ghz / core
any suggestions and help is welcomed.
System is Cooled with Water CPU / NB / GFX+GFXRAM

Corsair RAMS running at 1,9V 800MHZ CL5 (are capable of CL4 @ 800MHZ 2,1 Volts) but im using CL5 mode so they wont run too hot and i lost only 1-2 fps ;)

but my problem is the CPU - temps are ok and im always wathing them - PWM is aircooled.

Thanks for ure help and time

EDIT : LDT frequency @X4 lowered to it from X5

Thanks for all the kind words, all. I'm glad people are finding it useful!

Just a little nit to pick, but
energy = 0.5mv^2 where m is mass and v is velocity. This is the basis of the old expression, "speed kills." You generate way more energy driving 75 MPH than you do driving 55 MPH since energy and velocity have an exponential relationship.
isn't right. From your own formula, kinetic energy is quadratic in speed, not exponential. -- Paul

Just updated the guide to version 1.3 which contains new info, fixes, clean-ups, etc. Enjoy!

Just a little nit to pick, but

isn't right. From your own formula, kinetic energy is quadratic in speed, not exponential. -- Paul

It's been too long since algebra and calculus.... what's the difference again :)

Right. And given enough time, an exponential will always out-grow a quadratic (or any power of x). Here's one way to visualize why:

exp(x) = 1 + x + (1/2)x^2 + (1/6)x^3 + (1/4!)x^4 + ...

so in a sense, an exponential contains every possible power of x. Taken another way, for any a x^n (a > 0 and x > 0),

exp(x) - a x^n
= (n!/a)*(exp(x) - (1/n!) x^n )
= (n!/a)*( 1 + x + ... + (1/(n-1)!)x^(n-1) + (1/(n+1)!)x^(n+1) + ... )
> 0.

So, an exponential is bigger than any monomial. A similar argument applies to a*exp(b*x), and it's not too bad to extend it to polynomials. -- Paul

Right. And given enough time, an exponential will always out-grow a quadratic (or any power of x). Here's one way to visualize why:

exp(x) = 1 + x + (1/2)x^2 + (1/6)x^3 + (1/4!)x^4 + ...

so in a sense, an exponential contains every possible power of x. Taken another way, for any a x^n (a > 0 and x > 0),

exp(x) - a x^n
= (n!/a)*(exp(x) - (1/n!) x^n )
= (n!/a)*( 1 + x + ... + (1/(n-1)!)x^(n-1) + (1/(n+1)!)x^(n+1) + ... )
> 0.

So, an exponential is bigger than any monomial. A similar argument applies to a*exp(b*x), and it's not too bad to extend it to polynomials. -- Paul

BSOD!

(Brain Screen Of Death)

nice guide - very helpful for those of us moving to intel systems for the first time. thanks for your hard work!

Graysky I want to thank you very much for making this topic so clear and easy to understand. I was really confused by my new bios and had never had to really set anything to OC before. My last bios just had percentage values for how much you wanted to increase the clock speed ... you just choose 10% for example and your 2.6Ghz cpu becomes a 2.91 cpu. But messing with FSB speeds and voltages and all that stuff ... well let's just say I was terrified at the idea of screwing my new system up.

But I have to say I was able to go into my bios with confidence after reading this and some answers to some questions of mine on another site were provided to me. I now have been able to OC my 2.4Ghz Q6600 to 2.8Ghz by changing only the FSB speed. I didn't have to touch voltages or anything like that and I doubt that I go any further because I don't want to mess around with any other settings. Everything is working fine now ... I would hate to screw up my system because I was too speed hungry, I mean I did get 14.2K on my 3DMark06 score so I am more than happy. My games all run smooth at 1680x1050 so now I am all set. Thanks for writing such a thorough guide to OCing. It proved invaluable.

2.8 is great on stock voltages for a q6600. I'd be happy w/ it if I were you... mine can do about 3.0 @ 1.2625 v but there really isn't that much of a difference between 2.8 and 3.0 for most things.

Enjoy!

Back