• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

howto setup vpn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccb056

i want to setup a network accross the wan w/ a friend so we can send/receive files, how do i do this w/ winxp pro

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

Do you want to connect via the Internet or do you have your own private network or like a campus type WAN?

XP has point to point networking and ICS and Internet file sharing capability built in. Its all in the Help program of the OS itself. Extremely simple, you will have no problems I doubt.

Look HERE for general How To from MS themselves, that is most likely all you will need to see to know what to do to connect to the specific WAN you're speaking of...

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
VLANs for sharing files only? If there's no security (encryption-wise) needed, why not use FTP?

OP
ccb056

ccb056

i want to connect thru the wan, 1 computer at my house to a computer at another house, we are both behind routers

the files im sharing i want to be encrypted
im behind a router, is it easier to go dmz or open ports?

DDR-PIII

Disabled
:/ i guess you can find out which ports would needed to be open "m,ore secure since thats what you seem to be going for"...

OP
ccb056

ccb056

i dont know how to set it up, is it p2p or cs type networking??????????