• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M477: How To Fax From A Word Or .pdf File?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyGalaga

[FONT=&quot]Hello,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have an HP LaserJet Pro MFP M477 [FONT=&quot]fdw and have installed the latest driver software. Is there a way to open a .pdf or Microsoft Office Word file and fax it without having to physically print out the pages and run 'em through the document feeder? The instructions say you can click on File > Print and then choose the fax software, but this doesn't work. There is no HP fax option or software listed. The only choice is the standard Windows fax which then prompts you to connect to a fax modem.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

It would be nice to fax right from the .pdf or .docx file directly. So how can we do this? Thanks.

trents

No way that I know of unless you use one of those Internet fax services where you upload the file to the website and they send the fax.

OP
JohnnyGalaga

JohnnyGalaga

I installed the full solution. Is your printer connected via USB or network connection?

OP
JohnnyGalaga

JohnnyGalaga

I have a feeling it only does what I'm trying to do if the printer is on a network and the USB won't work. Are you using a personal home router? Thanks.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I'm using the ISP provided DSL modem-router with wifi.
You might be on to something. I recall hearing my wife cuss like a sailor trying to install an hp printer using USB. lol
Try uninstalling the driver package (but make sure you have the install package on your PC), disconnect the internet, then reinstall the driver package. Sometimes Windows will install their driver before you get yours installed. It can be frustrating.

OP
JohnnyGalaga

JohnnyGalaga

Figured it out. You have to connect the printer to a network rather than a USB. I went ahead and unhooked the USB cable and connected the printer to the home router via a hardwire ethernet cable. Then I uninstalled and re-installed the full drivers. There’s another driver called “HP Universal Fax Driver Series for Windows” that I think you must also install: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...river-series-for-windows/7529318?openCLC=true .

Now when I click File > Print, there’s a new drop-down choice in the Printer list that lets you fax directly with no paper called “HP Universal Fax Driver”. Once you run it the first time and do some settings and check the box to add this Printer to your Printers and Faxes folder, then another new choice gets added to the Printer list called “Fax - HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdw (21418E)”. This one gets you directly to the fax screen quicker where you can enter the fax number and send it.

Another option is to go into the touch screen on the printer and get the printer’s IPv4 address: Setup > Reports Menu > Network Summary. This prints out a report with all the network info including the IPv4 address. Then you can enter the IPv4 address into your web browser and get into a bunch more settings. So I got it working now. No more paper faxes. Wish I would have known all this and set this printer up on a network back when I first bought it. You get access to more features and settings.