• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP may quit PC business

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
http://www.3news.co.nz/HP-may-quit-PC-business/tabid/412/articleID/222702/Default.aspx

HP is dumping tablets and smart phones and may quit PC entirely.

In a dramatic reshuffling, Hewlett-Packard said Thursday that it will discontinue its tablet computer and smartphone products and may sell or spin off its PC division, bowing out of the consumer businesses.

It's one of the most extreme makeovers in the company's 72-year history and signals new CEO Leo Apotheker's most transparent move to date to make HP look more like longtime rival IBM, which now makes most of its money from software and services.

The most apparent result for consumers will be the end of HP's TouchPad tablet, a sales dud, and HP-branded smartphones, also-rans in a booming market crowded with the iPhone and devices based on Google's Android system. By the end of next year, HP computers could be sold under another company's name.

HP will continue to sell servers and other equipment to business customers, just as IBM now does.

It was not immediately known whether any jobs will be cut. HP employs more than 300,000 worldwide.

A decade ago, HP emerged from a bitter fight to spend more than US$24 billion on Compaq Computer, setting the stage for HP to become the world's No 1 maker of personal computers. Now, three CEOs later, HP is changing course - hard.

The PC division is HP's biggest revenue generator but least profitable division. The move has long been rumoured, but just six months ago HP dismissed reports of the possibility as "irresponsible reporting" and that PCs are "core to HP's strategy for the connected world".

The PC industry is under pressure from hot-selling smartphones and tablet computers, which have contributed to already weak consumer demand for PCs in the US and Europe.

More striking is that HP plans to shutter its fledgling smartphone and tablet business just two years after spending US$1.8 billion on smartphone maker Palm, which gave HP the webOS software that has been praised by critics but largely been ignored by the marketplace. It is here that HP was the victim of the Apple and Google juggernauts, as iPads and iPhones and smartphones running Google's Android software have been hot sellers, while HP devices have languished.

HP also announced that it is in talks to buy Autonomy Corp., a business software maker. Earlier, The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg News had reported that HP planned to buy Autonomy for US$10 billion, which would rank the deal among HP's biggest.

The decision to buy Autonomy also marks a change of course for HP, one that makes HP's trajectory look remarkably similar to rival IBM's nearly a decade ago. IBM, a key player in building the PC market in the 1980s, sold its PC business in 2004 to focus on software and services, which aren't as labor- or component-intensive as building computer hardware.

HP, which is based in Palo Alto, Calif., also announced its latest quarterly results an hour earlier than planned.

HP's net income increased in the fiscal third quarter, which ended July 31, but its lower-than-expected outlook for the current period weighed on the stock.

The company earned 93 cents per share in the latest quarter. That's up from 75 cents per share a year earlier. Its adjusted earnings were US$1.10 per share, a penny above analyst expectations.

Revenue climbed less than 2 percent to US$31.2 billion, matching analysts' average expectations, according to FactSet.

For the current quarter, HP forecast adjusted earnings of US$1.12 to US$1.16 per share, below analysts' expectation of US$1.32 per share. Revenue should be US$32.1 billion to US$32.5 billion, short of analysts' estimate of US$34 billion.

HP also lowered its full-year revenue outlook. It now expects revenue of US$127.2 billion to US$127.6 billion, down from its previous estimate of US$129 billion to US$130 billion. Analysts were predicting US$129.1 billion in revenue.

HP's stock fell US$1.88, or 6 percent, to close Thursday at US$29.51. The stock fell further in extended trading to US$28.79, a drop of 72 cents, or 2.4 percent. The announcement came about an hour before the close of market.

AP

Could be bad news to those who bought HP tablet recently.

It looks like they're going to try the IBM route, software + high end computing.

Trying to compete with Apple on hardware from a financial POV must look impossible, not just for HP...

"Making computers personal again" Seems to gotten out of hand.I would agree they have grown to large to adequately serve the needs of consumers these days plus the fact they uses all off shore tech support which I have never had someone say a kind word about.

There's no loss here no matter how you look at it since HP's phone and tablet offerings have always languished behind its rivals. This just officially announces that THEY (finally) realize it. :p I consider this a blip on the radar. I knew no one was buying their tablet because it had its own OS and from what I could tell, no one was developing software for it. They got in waaay too late to that game.

As for the PC products, I've not had good experiences in the past few years when prior they were at least comparable to other makes/models. Either way, we've been reselling a lot of Lenovo products in the past year with great success (mostly cheaper compact dusiness desktops, mid range laptops, and low end servers). Dollar for dollar our money has been better spent with Lenovo than with Dell or HP, our old manufacturers of choice. It helps we get most of our product from ingram micro, who seems to have really taken a strong role as a partner with Lenovo (both in pricing and selection of products).

And yes, HP's support is lackluster at best.

At least HP knows a loser when they see it instead of trying to force it and continuing to dump money into that sector just to have it around. If they sell now, they can actually get something out of it versus just closing it down when it has dwindled down to nothing.

We can only hope they leave the PC market so that the world doesn't have to endure any more of their idiotic "Beats" laptops.

At least HP knows a loser when they see it instead of trying to force it and continuing to dump money into that sector just to have it around. If they sell now, they can actually get something out of it versus just closing it down when it has dwindled down to nothing.

You mean... like Blackberry? :rofl:

My only worry is the warranty/support afterward. I got screwed out of a few remaining Gateway machines on that thanks to them selling off to MPC...who eventually went bankrupt. Being in state government here, we use almost all HP products for desktops, laptops and servers. Although I can't say I won't mind having another excuse to buy Lenovo...or even Dell. HP's support system isn't as good and I don't care for the half dozen sales reps of various titles assigned to me either.

I've had good luck with HP, particularly my laptop and printer.

My warranty experience with them is the same when I handled Dell warranties, no thrills, but no hassle either.

Their laptops do look nice, though.

If they are going to stick with software... what software do they offer? I don't know of any programs out there HP has made....

Enterprise level stuff. They don't make software you buy off the shelf, the sell custom built integrated solutions that cost in the tens of thousands to millions of dollars (much like IBM). Mostly custom UIs and poorly designed databases.

Is HP still in the calculator business? I remember my HP calculator being way better than anything Texas Instruments had out at the time.

well if HP pulls out of PC sales completely then their printers better become what they used to be and not break every 2 years.

also if "HP" pulls out of PCs they still own Compaq and will likely sell computers under that name.... like that would be any better....

I don't understand how so many large corporations are too incompetent to make good computers.
It's not very hard making a nice computer/tablet/laptop/phone, all the stuff needed is out there.
I think the only reason why Apple has an edge over those other corps is the fact that Job uses Apple's products.

At least they're smart enough to know businesses are run by idiots that will cough up millions on free software.

Apple parts? Which parts would those be? The Intel processor? The Nvidia/ATI video cards? The Samsung optical drives? The only parts Apple makes (or should I say has made for them) are the cases and the modules that tell the motherboard it is okay to load OSX.

Back