• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP pavilion laptop mobo issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therookie

Hey does anyone know where the faulty chip and crack solder joints are? I have a 3 1/2 year laptop, that hp refuse to fix for free.

@md0Cer

I think I know what you are talking about. Two nights ago my Pavilion DV6500 just crapped out. I did some research and apparently it is a fault with the motherboards in these computers that HP has known about for some time. They offered to fix the issue for free for up to 2 years from the purchase date. Seeing how mine and from the looks of the "internet" a lot of people's laptops are starting to fail now around the 3 year mark. Within the same month 3 people I know at my school have experienced issues with their HP Pavilions.

I tore my Pavilion completely apart. There was not a single board, heatsink, or screw that was still attached when I was done with it. I could not find any physical evidence of an individual chip that was burned out from visual inspection.

I have noticed quite a few motherboards on ebay that range from 130-170 dollars. When I get back to the United States I think I am going to attempt to replace the motherboard. But then I think to myself, is it worth it spending about 150 bucks on another motherboard that is probably just as old and bound to have the exact same issue happen again in the near future? I am debating on whether or not I should go for it or shell out the big bucks and just part out my Pavilion and try to buy a Dell Studio XPS 16 instead...