• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HPET Off = BSOD (HELP!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

click4dylan

Registered
I have this problem that is bothering me really bad. When I have the HPET enabled in my bios, I have no problems with my system at all. It will run 24/7 for weeks on end no problems. But here's the catch: it causes input lag on my mouse. I don't care what anyone says. It's clearly visible and can be felt by spinning my mouse in circles and dragging it across my mouse pad. If I play CSGO, I play like a noob who has first started FPS games with HPET enabled. With it disabled, I commonly get called a hacker.

If I disable the HPET, all input lag disappears and my mouse feels like 1:1 movement on my screen. BUT, my system blue screens daily. Sometimes 4-5 times a day. Sometimes it will freeze for 2 minutes frozen solid before blue screening. It only seems to happen when there isn't very much happening on my system, such as web browsing or programming. I can play 3 hours of competitive CSGO at 200+ fps without it crashing. I don't know if this is related though, because a couple times it crashed when first starting a game.

I really want to get to the bottom of this because I really, really enjoy the zero input lag created by disabling the HPET.

System specifications:

Logitech G400s mouse @ 1000Hz
BenQ XL2420TE monitor @ 120 Hz lightboost
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard
Windows 7 x64
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz turbo boost (+0.35v turbo voltage - ~1.26v stress test cpu-z)
Corsair H100i liquid cooling
All power savings features enabled in bios (c1e, etc)
2x 8 GB GSkill Trident X DDR3 2400 (10-12-12-31 1.65V)
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770 4GB (not overclocked)
Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 NIC
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
Auzentech Sound Blaster X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus RS-700 power supply
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
WD10EZEX HDD
WD15EARS HDD
WD2502ABYS HDD

Last edited:
well from what im reading HPET isnt something that is needed for regular users. as in gaming or web surfing or playing back dvd's etc.

have you, run memtest 86 with Hpet disabled and or done prime95? if/when it blue screens does it stay up to where you can read the error? as the error that pops up will help with that. dunno if you might need a touch more voltage somewhere with it or what might be going on.

just to let you guys know, i think it was some sort of fluke that HPET on stopped the blue screens. I found out that if i barely touched the power cables of my hard drives, they would shut off and on, which triggered a blue screen. i made sure they were all tight and i haven't got a blue screen since with HPET off

Back