• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HPT374 to ICH5R change over

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Will I be able to change over my 2 SATA raid0 drives directly from my Highpoint 374 raid controller to the Intel ICH5R controller without wiping all or any of my data? Will everything be intact?

OP
M

microfire

So you mean I gonna have to wipe everything ive got and start all over again?
It gonna be tough trying to back up a 240gb worth of storage. Can't I just load on the intel raid drivers into XP, then move the drives across to the intel raid?

Albuquerque

The answer is no.

Raid arrays work by writing a header block onto the drives, and then striping the data across the drives in a size defined by that header. THe problem is, different SATA raid controllers write that header in different places, in different methods and in different formats.

The net result is, since there is no real "standard" RAID method for IDE devices, one manufacturer's RAID implementation is usually incompatible with others.

If you were on a SCSI platform, this would all be VERY different.