• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF for Intel e8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tester3000

Hello, i am new to this forum. Looks awesome. Anyway let me get straight to it. I am getting an e8400 soon and i am looking for a air cooler for it. Now i know that the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme is being recommended left right and center over here, but will this be a good choice for the e8400 cpu? This is for a HTPC so being quiet is essential. My case is a CoolerMaster Centurion 5 and my mobo is a GA-P35-DS3L. Thanks.

Is the ThermalTake Blue Orb II considered to be quiet?? Cause that's what i currently have and it doesn't sound quiet to me at all!! If i undervolt to 5v it is really quiet but the temps get pretty high on my current cpu. BTW i currently have a pentium d 830 OC'd to 3.6Ghz no volt bump (i know that the pentium d's run hot,, so will i be fine with my blue orb @5v->8v and e8400? or will i need to upgrade my hsf?). I'm planning to oc to 4ghz if i can. I'll see how far it goes without a voltage bump as i want to keep this as quiet as possible.

Last edited:
That would be an excellent choice, you can run the 120 as passive if you like but I wouldn't recommend it, just get a low db fan and you wont even hear it. I would think that the 120 would outperform your thermaltake one by a large amount and also be quieter

Ok, i have some more questions.

1) I've heard that the bases of the TRUE are convex?? Will this affect the performance? I really don't want to lap my cooler.
2) Will it fit in my 8" wide CoolerMaster Centurion 5 and my GA-P35-DS3L motherboard? I'm only running 2 sticks of ram in dual channel so it will be ok if it covers the farthest ram slot.
3) Can you tell me what kind of temps you are getting with your e8400 clocked to 4Ghz?
4) I was looking at the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E 1200RPM fan. Will it be enough to cool my cpu? Or will i need to get a 1600RPM fan?
-->If i get a 1600RPM fan and undervolt it so that it runs at 1200RPM will both of them have the same noise level?? My reason for getting a 1600RPM fan is that i will be able to crank it up if i need to whereas with a 1200RPM fan, i can't go any higher.

I'll be sitting about 10 feet away from my HTPC so i'm not going to run it passive as i want to get a decent overclock on it.

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell my if the Thermalright Ultra Extreme will fit in my CoolerMaster Centurion 5 (8" wide) with a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. I don't want to buy it and then find out that it will not fit. Thanks.

E8400

I have a zalman 9700 on my e8400 oc'd to 3.82 with idle at 30 c and load at 40 c. Fits well in any case. You wont do any better with the TW in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back