• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HSF Lugs on socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aresaid

Registered
Has anyone ever had the centre lug snap off the socket on their mobo? How did you fix it? Replace the whole socket, glue the lug back on, etc, etc. I have a mobo with broken lug, and am wondering if it is safe to just glue the lug back on? The pressure from the HSF clip is very close the the socket, so it shouldn't pull too much on the lug.........

First of all, Welcome to the forums.

I don't think that would be a good idea. I've read of some who have done it, but I think you've got too much to lose in the event of a failure.

I would recommend that you change HSFs. There are alternative mounting methods employed by other manufacturers, some utilize the other lugs and better yet are the units that utilize bolts through the four mounting holes that are located adjacent to the socket. The bolt method is the preferred method a lot water-cooling setups.

My .02.

Good Luck!

The only thing I would even try to fix something like that with is JB weld. That stuff is STRONG! But the best answer is still to go to the other style of heat sink. But I've fixed things with JB that I wouldn 't have thought were repairable.

Hmm, all good, but there aren't any holes in the mobo, and the only HSF I can find that uses the three clip bit is WAY to big to fit. The board is a BP6. See if you can find a picture, and you will see what I mean. There are friggin' caps everywhere on this biatch! Just got a slocket off a guy today, so will attempt to glue a lug off that on to it. Ever heard of anyone completely replacing the socket? ie. Soldering in a new socket?

Back