• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT nay sayers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Wow.. do you get a commission for that kind of advertising??? lol :)

Honestly tho... when the price is compariable to AMD...... eh.. never mind... I'm not going to start another AMD vs. Intel war....
All I will say is, I'm happy with what I have.

Nuff said...

Cowboy X

With all due respect the " nay sayers " have valid points . Have a look at the reviews I show in this thread http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139283 in particular Tom's which shows the cpu with and without HT on . You will see that there is actually a performance drop in almost every single threaded app ! The single apps that show improvement are very few !

The video at Tom's shows the true benefit when multitasking ......... but many of the apps we use such as games we use alone , no multitasking ! No matter how fast one multitasks single threaded apps , it will never be faster than devoting the same 3.066 ghz to a single single threaded task . Most users doing something intensive no doubt will still likely choose to run the task by itself . No one will be running UT2003 with much else in the background , and definitely not another high intensity app ! I admit this may partially change as HT gets better and more apps are ported to it ( still unlikely with games however , but i'd like to see it fold :) )

Based on the performance , ED on the frontpage also asks the question , is it worth the $$$ right now ........... the answer is no . What ED idn't fully touch on is the fact that 2.4b and other C1 stepping chips on an appropriate board allow HT as well . Now this is where the value is .

Finally it is a very good and improved tech . It will not perform as well per clock cycle in single threaded software but will do well in multitasking . Just don't believe the hype and expect better framerates or 3dmark scores .

Last edited:

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
im smellen fear in the intel camp hehee

mabey they might be interested in reading about quanti-speed articles also?

OP
Hawk

Hawk

Cowboy X said:
No matter how fast one multitasks single threaded apps , it will never be faster than devoting the same 3.066 ghz to a single single threaded task . Most users doing something intensive no doubt will still likely choose to run the task by itself . No one will be running UT2003 with much else in the background , and definitely not another high intensity app ! I admit this may partially change as HT gets better and more apps are ported to it ( still unlikely with games however , but i'd like to see it fold :) )

I understand that some users just play games on their computers, but other users like myself who might be running 3D MAX and Autocad will gain performance. HT addresses the long standing problem associated with cashe misses that leaves the processor idle. Their are alot of workstations in animation and engineering businesses that will benifit greatly. After all to get the tech industry turned around chip makers need to give these companies a product that will increase their productivity. I am sure alot of game programmers are going to find HT a blessing as rendering takes a lot of horse power. Like you say right now there are not mass amounts of apps for this, but these chips will allow for them to be built and drive the technology to a higher level. Someone has to look to the future and stay on the leading edge. If every one took the stance that there are no apps for this yet then soon innovation would stagnate. I think software makers see the benifit of this and will more rapidly to take advantage of it. ie MMX, 3Dnow, SSE, SSE2. This is a much bigger advance and frankly I am glad the desktop population will finally take advantage of the benifits of multithreading.
BTW Ienjoy posts like yours! Very civil. Thank you
HAWK

NookieN

To follow up on what Hawk said, I think HT shows that Intel is committed to not only making their chips faster, but to widening the capabilities of those chips as well.

HT isn't just some some silly marketing ploy, it is intended to let you do more with a single chip than you could before. It is not surprising that the performance gains seen in the first iteration of this technology are small. And nobody promised that on Nov 14 a box with a 3.06 would cost less than a simple dually. Give it some time. In a couple years we may well laugh at cpus that can only execute one thread at a time.

FIZZ3

deathstar13 said:
im smellen fear in the intel camp hehee

mabey they might be interested in reading about quanti-speed articles also?

LOL @ quanti-speed... or in regular english: slapping a sticker on a chip saying it's really 500 _ or maybe 300 _ (or whatever we fancy) faster. Note the underscore. =)