• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HT suggestions for exisiting surrounds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

Looks great.

Only way to upgrade your speakers would be to upgrade all of them with higher end klipsch.

If you listen to a lot of music then maybe you could argue getting a better set of front left and right speakers, but then again having them all match is great for balanced surround sound.

I am sure you have already looked up the best way to place the speakers in your room. If not just do a quick search on google to make sure you are getting the most out of purchase.

OP
King107s

King107s

Thanks for the reply.

These speakers are my upgrade from my old Kenwood surrounds. They are new in a box and got a great deal on them. I heard them in a store and they blew the Boses speakers and all other similarly sized speakers out of the water.

I will mostly be using them for surround sound with movies Which is why I wanted to pair them with the right receiver and subwoofer.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
My only advice is to make sure the Front L/C/R are matched in timbre for the best soundstage...otherwise you can notice a seperation in the stage.

OP
King107s

King107s

They are a matched set so there shouldn't be any problems there. Also, I chose the 10" sub so it wouldn't over power the surrounds or the room size which I thin kthe 12" would do.

Edit: BTW nice use of vocabulary, I had to go look up 'timbre' :)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I USED TO know waaaaaaay to much about this stuff. 10 years ago I was a walking and talking Sound and Vision Magazine... :)

I would have went with the 12. Chances are it could reach a bit lower frequency with a more flat response easier than a 10". Besides, thats what the volume/gain knob is for on the back of an amplified sub!

OP
King107s

King107s

I USED TO know waaaaaaay to much about this stuff. 10 years ago I was a walking and talking Sound and Vision Magazine... :)

I would have went with the 12. Chances are it could reach a bit lower frequency with a more flat response easier than a 10". Besides, thats what the volume/gain knob is for on the back of an amplified sub!

Good point, I haven't bought anything yet though. I was just going off what some reviewers were saying about the 12" that it was too much for the surrounds and over powering the room.

Is it true that you can get a 'tighter' bass response with a smaller sub though? I mean we can't be talking about that much difference in the low end frequencey range from 10 to 12 right?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Tight bass, IIRC, relies more on the construction of the woofer/surround/enclosure more so than the size. There are plenty of quality, non "muddy" 12/15" subs out there.

What are the specs on the subs? I would make sure your sub does 30Hz or less to make sure you are getting the complete experience. Remember, sounds around 50Hz on down are omnidirectional (meaning you couldnt point out the source with your eyes closed) so it shouldnt overpower them if the crossover is setup right to match your speakers as well as the gain properly adjusted.

Im sure the 10 would be fine, but I like my boom in music and movies, so I would go with the 12 and just turn her down to compensate if need be.

What are the frequency response of your Front L/R speakers? The sub (both)?

OP
King107s

King107s

Surrounds:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz
Center: 125Hz-23kHz
POWER HANDLING Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)
Center: 75 watts (300 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY Satellite: [email protected] volts/1 meter
Center: [email protected] volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY Satellite: 2800Hz
Center: 2700Hz​
10" Sub woofer
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 28-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power: 420 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 115dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m​

12" Sub woofer
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 24-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 300 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power: 650 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 117dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m​

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Fronts?

Low power on those surrounds, wow. Im sure your receiver will out drive those things pretty easily...

OP
King107s

King107s

Fronts?

Low power on those surrounds, wow. Im sure your receiver will out drive those things pretty easily...

I'm not using additional large front speakers in this HT setup.

Don't let the specs fool you, these surrounds are some of the best I've heard of this size. They easily best the several thousand dollar Bose speakers and a few others I've heard on demo.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Oh, oops, I see. The surround kit you have

Im not a specs guy really. But was does concern me is the RMS power of 50W on the speakers when your receiver can send up to 105W RMS to them. I know they PEAK much higher, but that is for brief transient bursts. Im sure they will be fine, but be careful. I wouldnt crank them up much...

Bose is HIGHLY overrated and overpriced anyway. :)

I have these for surrounds: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/specs.php#bookshelf
Notice they go down to a respectable ~50Hz and amp power is 20-100W (which matches my receiver perfectly at 100x7).

ratbuddy

Surrounds:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE Satellite: 120Hz-23kHz
Center: 125Hz-23kHz
POWER HANDLING Satellite: 50 watts (200 watts peak)
Center: 75 watts (300 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY Satellite: [email protected] volts/1 meter
Center: [email protected] volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms compatible
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY Satellite: 2800Hz
Center: 2700Hz​
10" Sub woofer
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 28-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 200 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power: 420 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 115dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m​

12" Sub woofer
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 24-120Hz +/-3dB
AMPLIFIER POWER FTC Rated Power: 300 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power: 650 watts
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 117dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m​

Either woofer will be fine. One issue you're going to have is the gap in coverage around 120hz. The little speakers will not be producing much output and you're going to need to raise the crossover frequency on the sub to compensate. That's going to make it much easier to localize the subwoofer. Definitely don't put the sub behind you, anyway. Ideally it'll be right up front under the center channel speaker.

OP
King107s

King107s

Oh, oops, I see. The surround kit you have

Im not a specs guy really. But was does concern me is the RMS power of 50W on the speakers when your receiver can send up to 105W RMS to them. I know they PEAK much higher, but that is for brief transient bursts. Im sure they will be fine, but be careful. I wouldnt crank them up much...

Bose is HIGHLY overrated and overpriced anyway. :)

I have these for surrounds: http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/tsi/specs.php#bookshelf
Notice they go down to a respectable ~50Hz and amp power is 20-100W (which matches my receiver perfectly at 100x7).

The receiver isn't sending 105W down the line all the time right? It’s only supplying that kind of power when you crank up the volume knob.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but... wouldn’t that just mean the receiver would be working at about 50% load and thus working well below the point where distortion starts becoming noticeable? I would think that you wouldn't want to have any components working right at their maximum output where their THD is at its worse.

In my experience it was always better to have ample supply then not enough.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Sort of...

If you decide to crank the volume, your speakers will distort, not the amp. Your amp/receiver can out drive the speakers easily. If the inverse would happen, the distortion and heat would happen on the amp/receiver side.

Im sure you will be ok, but you have to be sure not to crank out the volume b/c you could damage your speakers as they are only rated for 50W RMS.

Last edited:

ratbuddy

The receiver isn't sending 105W down the line all the time right? It’s only supplying that kind of power when you crank up the volume knob.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but... wouldn’t that just mean the receiver would be working at about 50% load and thus working well below the point where distortion starts becoming noticeable? I would think that you wouldn't want to have any components working right at their maximum output where their THD is at its worse.

In my experience it was always better to have ample supply then not enough.

The speakers are rated at 91db (94db center) efficiency, and if that's at all true, you won't be putting the volume anywhere near 50% on the receiver, and have nothing to worry about. They'll get loud enough, and if they start making chuffing or farting noises, well, you need to get some bigger speakers :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Great posts in here RB!!!

I would like to voice a strong second opinion on his statement regarding the Sub's crossover vs the frequency reposonse of your sats... You will undoubtedly know where that thing is coming from if you have it crossover at such a high frequency. YOu can trim it back to 80Hz or so, but you will have a significant hole in that range depending on how steep the crossover slope on the speakers are.

pinky33

My roommate from college dad's has that exact setup. Quintet III and 10inch woofer. I thought the 10inch was overpowering. It was also on a hardwood floor, so it echoed a lot. Also like any speaker system without a mid bass you will be missing the range of 100-400/600 (my guess, could be worse)

Just because it says those speakers say they produce down to 125Hz I can tell you they don't. Technically they do, but at what db level...............

get the 10 or 12, both will sound great.

how large is your room?

OP
King107s

King107s

The room is 21' x 15' = 315 ft^2

Edit: The 21' is the stretch between the TV and couches

Last edited: