• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huge home theater issues!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wraith

Okay OC forums. I have yet another issue/ this time with my home theater system. I have a very nice home theater setup from my old dorm room. An Optima 720P Projector, 5.1 surround sound, and n Xbox 360 Elite. It was all mounted on a table and threw the image onto my wall.

I’m in a new apartment, and due to space I can no longer have a cart for the Projector. I can however mount it on a beam on the ceiling. The issue I have there is twofold.

1) I don’t have power on the ceiling, so how on earth would I get power to the projector!

2) My 360’s AV cables are pretty short, how would I go about making it long enough to reach the 10 – 15 feet or so to my projector?

Possible 3) same as 2 but with my speakers.

Thanks in advance for any input!

jamesgig

Disabled
your on your own for getting power and a video signal to the projector. I dont know how much surgery you are willing to do on your walls. which direction beams run, etc. Personally, I would rather put an outlet in the ceiling than connect my projector to an extension cord. You could make a dead outlet on the ceiling, run a wire to your cabinet and connect it into your power system or just have a small surge protector by the projector. Does your building have a surge protector?

For the other wires, connect all your sources to your receiver and then run a few long wires to the projector (hdmi, component, s-video, whatever floats your boat) Conduits are very nice for this if you have to change a wire or add a new one. Speaker wires will also come from your receiver so I do not know what your situation is for that.

hope this helps

masakabassist

Couldn't you use a fused spur for the projector. I don't know how the hell you're going to do the AV cables though. :/

GameSinewPCs

Game-Sinew President
Your best bet with the audio-video cables is to go wireless... Over distances Digital cable signals die out (HDMI is usually 12-15ftish max) so analog is the way to go, but analog can have quality issues. So I recommend looking into a wireless converter to cover the distance. The problems with this are Cost as #1 and possible (albeit unlikely) interference. However, there are many benefits including getting a good quality digital signal across the distance as well as less wires to mess around with. As said earlier, power to the beam will work via an electrician installing an outlet, or running an extension cable (be careful not to violate any fire codes).

nd4spdbh2

Or just get at home depot wire track... its essientally a 2 piece tunnel... one piece you skrew onto the ceiling and the other is a U shaped piece with ~ 1/2inch sides and is the same width as the piece you skrew onto the ceiling... this u shape piece then snaps onto the piece on the ceiling ... so you now have a place to put your wires... We did this for the 4 rear speakers on our 7.1 downstairs and it came out very nice.

Then you just get some cable extensions

OP
Wraith

Wraith

Since I'm in an apartment with concrete walls drilling is not a great option.

I cant use HDMI on my projector.

So what I'm hearing is-

1-wire an extension cord for the power
I can do that, as a matter of fact it was my first though.
2- Use some sort of wireless devide to "beam" my xbox signal to the projector. I have NO idea where to even start with this.

I'm starting to think I should just ditch the projector, I cant do much damage to the walls since I'll have to fix it all before I leave next year.

I'm a little upset =(