• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hunting for best 775 mobo, give me your top 5 picks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Best for...................overclocking? Unlocked chip or are you pushing FSB? PC for email and web??

We are on a forum called overclockers.

IDK much about this era of tech, wanted to build, push and benchmark old chips for a series of YouTube videos, and to learn stuff.

DFI lan party x38 is what I use, rockin!!!!!
I got in after socket 775, I understand why you want to build it.

Asus Rampage Extreme
Asus Rampage Formula
Asus Maximus II Formula

Chipsets you want are X48, P45, or X38.

Asus Rampage Extreme
Asus Rampage Formula
Asus Maximus II Formula

Chipsets you want are X48, P45, or X38.

What about the strikers and commando?

What chips were unlocked, the rest I assume oc with fsb.

Only a handful of extreme edition CPUs were unlocked, so yes FSB overclocking is the norm for 775. I have the X6800 EE Core2Duo, which was a lot of fun to play with.

Commando has an nvidia chipset, right? They did pretty good too, but the P45 & X48 could really push the FSB.

I still have a Rampage Formula, running folding@home. I also have a Maximus Formula SE (X38) flashed to a Rampage Formula BIOS. That flash helped its overclocking & memory tweaking.

Personally I liked more Gigabyte P45/X48 UD series, Biostar TPower P45 ( that for 2 core CPUs ) and DFI P45/X48. There are many good 775 boards but I would stick to P45 or X48 chipsets because of mentioned higher max FSB and easier memory overclocking.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is which type of ram you'd like to use. 775 comes in DDR2 and 3

One thing I didn't see mentioned is which type of ram you'd like to use. 775 comes in DDR2 and 3

D9's tight ( 1200mhz / 4-4 ) on Maximus Rampage Formula have given me better results than ddr3 on a friend's ddr3 board ( can't recall what it was - years back ...) :)

Was thinking ddr2 just cause I've never used it before, course if I got a great deal on a ddr3 mono u wouldn't complain

FYI, D9 is a DDR2 Micron RAM IC (there were other D9's that did not overclock). The big performers were D9GMH and D9GKX. I have the D9GMH G.Skill 6400 HZ kits, but there were many makers that supplied these ICs. They did well with higher voltage, but needed to be actively cooled. Otherwise the volts/heat would kill them.

FYI, D9 is a DDR2 Micron RAM IC (there were other D9's that did not overclock). The big performers were D9GMH and D9GKX. I have the D9GMH G.Skill 6400 HZ kits, but there were many makers that supplied these ICs. They did well with higher voltage, but needed to be actively cooled. Otherwise the volts/heat would kill them.

As is the problem with most used D9 kits out there. They are usually 'pre-cooked'. :p
I have the HZ kit also, but it's not one of my best clockers. They are about the same as the Patriot kits I have. Got a couple sets of Ballistix Tracers that just scream though.

Last edited:
LOL - Pre-cooked, I like that term! Yes, there were many good D9 kits, but the HZ is the only one I have used.

Yea, I've heard all too well that ddr2 runs hot.

Since this is mostly fsb ocing,would the 771 mod be worth it with a xeon, I know there are fsb xeons.

I could also use ecc ram, they usually have large heat sinks and fans.

The 771 mod is worth it because of the stupid high cost of 775 quad core CPUs. The xeons are cheap in comparison. You will also find many of the known good overclocking motherboards are still kinda pricey too.

You don't want to run ECC RAM though. The error correction is great for a server, but slow in a work station/desktop.

Gotcha, yeah I think I'll pick up xeons, I do want to pick up in extreme chip as well.

Well I got a good list of boards time to start hitting eBay.

Back