• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HUZAH WHAAA!! Got an infection in both loops!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't use that stuff because it is still glycol base and has a higher viscosity when it gets cold similar to standard car antifreeze and can get hard to pump. It also has a lower heat capacity than a water/methanol mixture.
Exactly why I don't use it either.

thats why i only use distilled water and dead water. no growths and water stays clear. i haven't cleaned my in a year and its still nice and clear.

i use primochill advanced LRT right now.

thats why i only use distilled water and dead water. no growths and water stays clear. i haven't cleaned my in a year and its still nice and clear.

i use primochill advanced LRT right now.

That is good advice for a normal ambient system. We are talking about these different fluids though for use in systems that are going to be taken sub-zero so we have to use an antifreeze agent of some sort.

I don't use that stuff because it is still glycol base and has a higher viscosity when it gets cold similar to standard car antifreeze and can get hard to pump. It also has a lower heat capacity than a water/methanol mixture.

BUT IT'S PINK!!!!!

Blaylock said:
-50F is better than -36F right?
Uh,yeah!!! What about this -100 stuff?! Zounds!!!
I haven't checked out their web-site yet...

Cheers

And mine is **** yellow.

That's the color I put in a work computer for a customer's chopper! The dealership owner went nuts a couple months later. "You can't put that in our computer files! What if the customer sees.......". Fades to Charlie Brown teacher speak. I haven't heard that color in years. LOL!

Hijack over. :)

What I learned...

So for the current state of Father Time check in on the latest post.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7986357&viewfull=1#post7986357
If you are not already sub'd, what's your major malfunction Pyle??!?

So in the process of cleaning and prepping and all the time I spent...
One significant thing began to occur to me....

That I really didn't do my due diligence when filling up this rig the first time:shock:

especially considering all the precautions I have taken here.
I just kinda dumped in the Koolance coolant and thought that's all I needed.
Never rinsed/prepped anything...

In the end, this had to be the most detrimental contributing factor to the problem...

Thanks everyone for chiming in...

Salud

What solution did you decide on for your cleaning?

Ok, durr-sorry for leaving out that most pertinent information...

For the cleaning process I just used distilled water with Dawn dish soap, as shown in the gCard Enema pic...

IMG_3273.JPG

I went with the PrimoChill products after that...

FYI-When you buy a grip of tubing you also get a bottle of their SysPrep and a bottle of "Utopia"-their anti-algae/corrosion treatment.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/prim...-8in-id-x-1-2in-od-crystal-clear.html#Details

You also get a bottle of SysPrep when you buy the coolant:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/prim...ly-concentrated-liquid-pre-mix-8oz-clear.html

So I rinse with plain distilled water, routed everything up and then went to town with the SysPrep.
Ran both loops overnight, drained and filled with the pre-mix solution, throwing in a bottle of Utopia as well...

Time will tell...

Salud

When you say premix solution, you still talking about anti-freeze? Or you using someone else's pre-mix solution?

FYI anti-freeze will cut down flow rates by about 15% and more as it gets colder. I tried the Red Pre-mix and went from 1.6gpm to 1.25gpm until fluid temps got up to about 30°c then they got to that 1.35gpm or roughly 15% of flow rate with just plain distilled water. Nothing in the loop changed, no fittings or tubing differences, just a drain and fill with anti-freeze, the flow dropped so much that I was uncomfortable with the added pressure it was putting in the loop (fear of creating a leak with prolonged exposure to added pressure). I went back to distilled with about 5% of pre-mixed anti-freeze (since I had it) for the anti-corrosive properties it has with it. I figure since the loop is mainly nickel-plated copper, copper, brass and silver ( I think that's all the metals in the loop honestly), I won't need much anti-corrosion, but a lil for peace of mind is OK i figure, lol :chair:

When you say premix solution, you still talking about anti-freeze? Or you using someone else's pre-mix solution?

so yeah, this thread has addressed both topics: sub-zero coolants and commercial computer specific coolants.
In the case of the rig with the original problems Father Time (sig), its a closed loop(s) and I don't plan to take it sub-zero for some time...
So I went with the PrimoChill product's linked in my previous post.

Cheers

Back