• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hynix D5??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KKAT

Hello! I'm thinking about getting new memory for my A64 system.
As of now I have a gig of bh-6, a gig of mushkin pre lv pc3200 (either bh-5 or tcb3), and a gig of ch-5. I'm thinking of getting sammy TCCD or Hynix D5,
what should I go with?
I believe this stuff is Hynix D5
The pdf for this ram is
here
My understanding is pdp's pc3700 is tested at pc4200 and pc4000 speeds and viceversa... The only ram I can think of that is rated at 8-4-4-3 at pc4200 is either hynix D5 or samsung TCCD.
Which should I get? The PDP might be worth the gamble, b/c it is so cheap.
thanks
-kkat

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
That is really inexpensive for a gig of ram. Like you said, there are only a few types of ICs used in ram rated at those speeds so its hard to imagine that you could go wrong.

I've sworn off buying any more ram, but that is a pretty tempting price for some Hynix.

gibletzor

I'd also like to know about this if anyone knows for sure. I'm not usually one to gamble on things like this, but for the price I just might have to. Been looking for something that can hit 270+ for my new winnie since this Geil I have tops out around 235 with not so great timings...

nicknomo

I wouldn't buy anything cas 3 for an A64... Its much better to get cas 2 at 200mhz.

You can always run on a divider.

OP
KKAT

KKAT

nicknomo said:
I wouldn't buy anything cas 3 for an A64... Its much better to get cas 2 at 200mhz.
really? Not even cas 3 at say 300 1:1?
I just want some new ram that is cheap and good... don't we all!
-kkat

nicknomo

If I remember, even as high as 300 mhz cas 3 doesn't perform all that stellar.

250 at 2.5 isn't bad though... If I remember correctly though, cas 2 at 220mhz beats cas 2.5 275mhz on an A64.

Still thats cheap for 1 gig... It will probably do decent at cas 2.5, so it still might be worth it..

Just dont bother to try high clock speeds at cas 3.0.. not really worth it.

rseven

With my dividers such as they are I can run 6:5 CAS 2.5 at 230 or 1:1 CAS 3 at 280. The CAS 3 is faster. What I have read is 25mhz of ram speed will make up for 0.5 CAS. I honestly don't know how true that is, but obviously there is a point where speed compensates for higher latency.

OP
KKAT

KKAT

thanks for all the posts!!
Thanks r7, that is what i thought too, but who knows??
btw, how does hynix d5 respond to voltage? Is it like tccd, were only a selected few on bp pcbs respond, like bh-5/6 which loves it, or in the middle of the two extremes?
-kkat