• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hyper threading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper
ok guyz dont laugh at me but how do u know if HT is working? i think mine is but i thought that u need to reformat the pc when u get HT chips or so ive heard. check this out, i never seen this before, is that what it looks like when u got 2 chips? or HT

HT.jpg

batboy

Senior Moment
It looks like you have two CPU usage graphs in the screenshot. I also saw your CPU-Z screenshot in another thread and it shows you having HT. Look towards the bottom of the CPU-Z window, if HT wasn't working the CPU selection would be grayed out. If you pull down the selection menu, it should show CPU #1 and CPU #2 (logical).

OP
AZN

AZN

AznSniper
ah thx guyz, i thought i was working but had to be sure. i guess u dont ahve to reformat like some people said :)

Lonely Raven

If you traded with me please leave me Heatware Sen
AZN, I run Windows 2000, and I absolutly HAD to format.

What was happening with me, was that the "Virtual" processor
wouldn't get loaded up properly. It would bump a little, but I
couldn't hit it with [email protected] or SETI and pin it at 100%
per chip.

I'm not sure about Windows XP, but I'd really hate for you to not
get the power you paid for!

j2me_tech

Lonely Raven,

are u trying to mean that when u run seti or folding, it takes 50% of cpu usage only? if so, run 2 seti or folding instead of 1. :D

edited:
here's some screenshot for u. :)
prime.jpg
when i run prime without folding, it utilise 50% of cpu usage.

prime_folding.jpg
when i run prime & folding, it utilise 100% of cpu usage.

hopo this helps. ;)

Last edited:
OP
AZN

AZN

AznSniper
yes its weird, folding only is 50% load. do u think a reinstall of OS will make it 100%? if so y?

j2me_tech

azn,

i think this is the advantages that we get from HT. now i'm running 2 copy of folding instead of 1. when i run folding using my second rig, 2.4b non-ht, it takes 4 minutes to finish 1 frame. for my 2.4c ht-enabled rig, it takes 3 minutes to finish 1 frame(& it only utilise 50% of cpu usage), when i realised it, i tried to run 2 copy of folding instead of 1, the result is, both folding takes longer to finish 1 frame, but it utilise 100% of cpu usage & i can finish more wu then before. hope u can understand my poor english. :p

NookieN

Even if it says 50%, a single-threaded program is using all of the resources that it can. Like others have said, running two instances of something will bring you up to ~100%, but that doesn't mean you'll be getting twice the throughput -- it's usually about 0-20% more.

dustybyrd

Even if it says 50%, a single-threaded program is using all of the resources that it can. Like others have said, running two instances of something will bring you up to ~100%, but that doesn't mean you'll be getting twice the throughput -- it's usually about 0-20% more.

that depends on the program...i think if you run two instances of prime95 on a dual system you get two prime95 programs running at nearly the same speed...

NookieN

dustybyrd said:

that depends on the program...i think if you run two instances of prime95 on a dual system you get two prime95 programs running at nearly the same speed...

More or less, yeah. But Prime95 is somewhat of an exception. It requires so much memory bandwidth that on a true dual system each instance runs at about 90% speed (give or take).

However, I've experimented with running Prime on my HT-enabled system. Two instances of Prime with HT provide no benefit. In fact, there is about a 4% decrease in overall throughput.

NookieN

Yeah running two instances of Prime for stability testing won't help anything (though it won't hurt anything either). But if you have a burn-in program that does a lot of integer stuff (e.g. BurnMMX or Sandra), running it at the same time as Prime might cram more tests through the chip.

j2me_tech

Yeah running two instances of Prime for stability testing won't help anything (though it won't hurt anything either). But if you have a burn-in program that does a lot of integer stuff (e.g. BurnMMX or Sandra), running it at the same time as Prime might cram more tests through the chip.

thanks nookie..:clap:

OP
AZN

AZN

AznSniper
will reinstalling OS help HT? i dont see how it can cuzz HT is already detected so how will reinstalling help?

NookieN

*Supposedly*, Win XP doesn't install the SMP kernel in its entirety if you install it on a non-HT/SMP system. I can't attest to that as I did a complete install. As long as you have "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" under "Computer" in your Device Manager tab, you're probably ok.

OP
AZN

AZN

AznSniper
so does this mean i dont need to reinstall OS?

H.jpg